Finding the Right Category for Photonics Questions

• Thread starter Tsunami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photonics
In summary, Daniel is asking for guidance on which category to post questions about photonics. He mentions that his question involves both atmospheric optics and quantum mechanics, making it difficult to determine the appropriate category. However, based on the fact that photons are accounted for in quantum field theory, it is suggested to post the questions in the Quantum Physics forum.
Tsunami
Hi,

I'm new to this site and (forgive my lazy ass) too impatient to browse this expanse of forums to answer the following question myself:

in which category should I post questions about photonics?

It's a bit hard to see for myself, as my question involve totally different things: atmospheric optics seem to situate itself best in the 'Earth' forum, whereas questions about photons specifically are more like quantum mechanics. However, photonics is both, and it's hard to reduce it to one of its associated fields.

Science news on Phys.org
Since photons are accounted for by the QFT,post them in the Quantum Physics forum.

Daniel.

Hi there!

Welcome to the site! I completely understand your confusion about where to post questions about photonics. It is a very interdisciplinary field and can be related to both atmospheric optics and quantum mechanics. In my opinion, the best place to post your questions would be in the "Science and Mathematics" category, as it encompasses a wide range of scientific topics and discussions. Alternatively, you could also try posting in the "Technology and Engineering" category, as photonics is also heavily used in these fields. I hope this helps and happy posting!

Related to Finding the Right Category for Photonics Questions

1. What is photonics?

Photonics is the branch of science and technology that deals with the manipulation and use of light, particularly in the form of photons, for various applications such as communication, imaging, and energy generation.

2. How does photonics differ from traditional electronics?

Photonics uses light instead of electrons to transmit and process information, making it faster and more efficient than traditional electronics. Additionally, photonics can operate in both the visible and non-visible spectrum, allowing for a wider range of applications.

3. What are some real-world applications of photonics?

Photonics has a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, medical imaging, solar energy, and optical computing. It is also used in everyday devices such as laser pointers, barcode scanners, and fiber optic internet connections.

4. How does photonics contribute to renewable energy?

Photonics plays a crucial role in the development of renewable energy sources such as solar cells and wind turbines. It is used to convert light into electricity in solar panels and to optimize the efficiency of energy production in wind turbines.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of photonics?

Some of the current challenges in photonics include developing more efficient and cost-effective materials for use in devices, improving data transmission speeds, and integrating photonics with other technologies such as electronics and nanotechnology.