Finding the Product of Distinct Roots: A Complex Challenge

In summary, the "Complex roots challenge" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots of a complex number. Finding complex roots can be challenging because they do not follow the same rules as real numbers and can have multiple values. Some common methods for solving this challenge include the quadratic formula, factoring, and the fundamental theorem of algebra. Complex roots have various real-life applications in engineering, physics, and signal processing. There are many online resources and textbooks available for learning more about complex roots. Seeking guidance from a math teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Let $r_1,r_2, …,r_7$ be the distinct roots (one real and six complex) of the equation $x^7-7= 0$.

Let \[p = (r_1+r_2)(r_1+r_3)…(r_1+r_7)(r_2+r_3)(r_2+r_4)…(r_2+r_7)…(r_6+r_7) = \prod_{1\leq i<j\leq 7}(r_i+r_j).\]

Evaluate $p^2$.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here´s the suggested solution:
There are $21$ factors of $p$.

Let $a = 7^{1/7}$. Let $t = \frac{360^{\circ}}{14}$ and let $z(\theta) = \cos \theta + i\sin \theta$.

The first three factors are:

$r_1+r_2 = a + a z(2t) = a(\cos^2t + \sin^2 t)+a(\cos^2t-\sin^2t+i2\cos t \sin t) = 2a\cos (t) z(t)$.

$r_1+r_3 = a + az(4t) = 2a\cos(2t)z(2t)$.

$r_1 + r_4 = a + a z(6t) = 2a\cos(3t)z(3t)$.

In fact any sum of roots, $r_i+r_j$, $1 \leq i < j \leq 7$, has one of the three moduli:

$2a\cos(t)$, $2a\cos(2t)$ or $2a\cos(3t)$. This is due to the identity: $1+z(2\theta) = 2\cos \theta z(\theta)$.

Thus the product of all moduli is:

$p = (2a\cos(t)\cdot 2a \cos(2t) \cdot 2a \cos(3t))^7 = a^{21} = 7^3$, and we get the result: $p^2 = 7^6$.

Here we have used the identity $\cos(t)\cos(2t)\cos(3t) = \frac{1}{8}$.

Related to Finding the Product of Distinct Roots: A Complex Challenge

What is the "Complex roots challenge"?

The "Complex roots challenge" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots of a complex number. A complex number is a number that contains a real part and an imaginary part, expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

Why is finding complex roots challenging?

Finding complex roots can be challenging because complex numbers do not follow the same rules as real numbers. For example, the square root of a negative number is not defined in real numbers, but it is defined in complex numbers. Additionally, complex roots can have multiple values and can be expressed in different forms, making it difficult to determine the correct solution.

What are some common methods for solving the "Complex roots challenge"?

Some common methods for solving the "Complex roots challenge" include the quadratic formula, factoring, and using the fundamental theorem of algebra. These methods can be used to find the roots of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients.

How are complex roots used in real life?

Complex roots have many applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve oscillations, such as electrical circuits and mechanical systems. In addition, they are used in signal processing and control systems.

What are some resources for learning more about complex roots?

There are many online resources available for learning more about complex roots, including tutorials, videos, and interactive demos. Additionally, textbooks on algebra and calculus often have sections dedicated to complex numbers and their properties. Seeking guidance from a math teacher or tutor can also be helpful in understanding complex roots.