Finding the point of equilibrium

In summary, the tension in the rope is maximized when the man is at the equilibrium point, and the angle between the two ends is the altitude.
Augustine Duran

Homework Statement

As a stunt coordinator with a background in physics, you have been asked to determine whether Man can make it across the river and whether the rope will hold his weight. Man is rather small, with a mass of only about 48.7 kg, including his equipment. The crossing distance is roughly W = 8.7 m and the rope is tied H = 1.7 m lower on the opposing the bank. Judging by the sag in the rope, its length is about 11.5 m. Calculate the tension in the rope once man reaches a point of equilibrium. Assume the rope does not stretch.

30dcdede-df5a-46a8-8ea3-57b1bcfd7487.jpe

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I can find the tension of the rope once I find where the equilibrium point is, thing is I'm not sure HOW to find the equilibrium point. All i know is that the equilibrium point should have the same angle on both sides.

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is to assign symbols to the various quantities of interest - lengths, angles, forces - then use those in a series of equations to describe the equilibrium point.

I assume, although they do not say this, that they want you to assume that at the equilibrium point the rope will be an asymmetric V shape, with the two sides being straight. In practice there would still be slight curves in either side of the rope, but modelling them is complex, so I think you're probably expected to ignore that.

Assuming that, what equations can you write that ensure equilibrium - ie net force on the man is zero?

EDIT: a potentially easier way to do this is to note that equilibrium will be where the man is at the lowest point, so all you need to do is maximise the distance below one of the tether points that bottom of the V can be, subject to the rope being of the specified length and connecting to both tether points. This approach is an 'energy' approach rather than a 'net force / free body diagram' approach.

So if the system is in equilibrium then the sum of the forces should equal zero
Ill label the left side T1 and the right side T2

Σx : -T1 cosθ + T2 cosθ = 0
T2 cosθ = T1 cosθ
T2 = T1

Σy : T1 sinθ + T2 sinθ - mg = 0
T1 sinθ + T2 sinθ =Mg

EDIT: we have not covered energy yet

Last edited:
Augustine Duran said:
i know is that the equilibrium point should have the same angle on both sides
Right, so to find the angle it's just geometry.
Draw a diagram of the equilibrium position. In terms of the angle, how far is the lowest point of the rope below each of the two ends?

haruspex said:
Right, so to find the angle it's just geometry.
Draw a diagram of the equilibrium position. In terms of the angle, how far is the lowest point of the rope below each of the two ends?

Would that be the altitude?

in terms of the angle all i can think of is this: sinθ = y/z → z sinθ = y

Last edited:
Also here's a diagram i drew, i imagine the rope would look like something like this at equilibrium.
upload_2016-9-30_10-23-42.gif

Augustine Duran said:
Also here's a diagram i drew, i imagine the rope would look like something like this at equilibrium.
View attachment 106753
Augustine Duran said:
Would that be the altitude
Yes.
It helps to add labels and construction lines. In you diagram, call the tops of the posts (same height) A (left) and B; the rope attaches at points A and C; the lowest point of the rope is D. Draw a vertical up from D to meet AB at E. Draw a horizontal from C to meet DE at F.
Now everything is reduced to rectangles and triangles with known angles. Using AED, what is length DE? Using CDF what is length DF?

so i redrew the diagram

upload_2016-9-30_15-40-57.gif

problem is i don't understand how you can find the length of DE without knowing the length of AE. If for some reason you want me to use the length "6.2m", how would i know that's the equilibrium point? I probably should i said this in my original post but that length "6.2m" is used in the 2nd part of the question asking if the man can make it across the river and onto land.

Augustine Duran said:
so i redrew the diagram

View attachment 106765

problem is i don't understand how you can find the length of DE without knowing the length of AE. If for some reason you want me to use the length "6.2m", how would i know that's the equilibrium point? I probably should i said this in my original post but that length "6.2m" is used in the 2nd part of the question asking if the man can make it across the river and onto land.
see what equations you can come up with to relate the various lengths. You could start by letting AE be x and see what expressions you can come up with for other lengths using x and the unknown angle to the horizontal. You should get enough equations to solve for x and the angle.

would

x tanθ = DE
and
DF tanθ =FC

be a good place to start? I'm kinda going in loops here.

Augustine Duran said:
x tanθ = DE
Yes
Augustine Duran said:
DF tanθ =FC
Not quite.

You should also be able to write down simple relationships between DE and DF and between x and FC using the given lengths.
There is another given length that you need to make use of.

For DE and DF
We know the length of BC, which is the same length as EF
So...
DE-EF=DF

For x and FC
We know the length of EB is going to be the same length as FC, and AB is given
so can we say
AB-FC= x?

Last edited:
Augustine Duran said:
DE-EF=DF
Yes, and you know EF.
Augustine Duran said:
AB-FC= x?
Yes, and you know AB.
What given length have you not got into an equation yet?

the rope?
would it be legal to add two lengths even though they meet at a corner?
so would it be...
AD+DC=AC

Augustine Duran said:
the rope?
would it be legal to add two lengths even though they meet at a corner?
so would it be...
AD+DC=AC
No, "AC" would mean the straight line connecting them. But AD+DC= length of rope.

So are these the only equations i need to solve this?
DE-EF=DF
AB-FC=x
X tanθ=DE
AD+DC= rope
If so I am curious as to how i can incorporate the rope length since its not a straight line

Augustine Duran said:
So are these the only equations i need to solve this?
DE-EF=DF
AB-FC=x
X tanθ=DE
AD+DC= rope
If so I am curious as to how i can incorporate the rope length since its not a straight line
Relate AD to x and theta. Similarly DC.

Related to Finding the point of equilibrium

1. What is the point of equilibrium in a scientific context?

The point of equilibrium is the state at which two opposing forces or processes are balanced and there is no net change. In chemistry, it refers to the point at which the concentration of reactants and products are equal and there is no further change in the reaction.

2. How is the point of equilibrium determined?

The point of equilibrium is determined by plotting a graph of the concentration of reactants and products over time and finding the point where the two lines intersect. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the initial concentrations and equilibrium constants.

3. What factors can affect the point of equilibrium?

The point of equilibrium can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. It can also be influenced by the addition or removal of substances that can shift the equilibrium in one direction or another.

4. How can the point of equilibrium be shifted?

The point of equilibrium can be shifted by changing the concentrations of reactants and products, altering the temperature or pressure, or adding a catalyst. It can also be shifted by changing the volume of the reaction vessel or by changing the partial pressure of gases in the system.

5. What is the significance of finding the point of equilibrium?

Finding the point of equilibrium is important in understanding the behavior of chemical reactions and predicting their outcomes. It also allows us to optimize reaction conditions for maximum product formation and to control the rate of reactions. In industrial processes, it is crucial for efficiency and cost-effectiveness.