Finding the Orbit of a Particle with Varying Position Vector

In summary, the position and velocity of a particle can be described by the given position vector and its derivative with respect to time. If the values of b and c are equal, the orbit is circular. If b is larger than c, the orbit will be an ellipse with b as the semi-major axis and c as the semi-minor axis.
d2x
I'm given the position vector as a function of time for a particle (b, c and ω are constants):

[itex]\vec{r(t)} = \hat{x} b \cos(ωt) + \hat{y} c \sin(ωt)[/itex]

To obtain it's velocity i differentiate [itex] \vec{r(t)} [/itex] with respect to time and i obtain:

[itex]\vec{v(t)} = -\hat{x} ωb \sin(ωt) + \hat{y} ωc \cos(ωt)[/itex]

Now i have to describe the orbit of this particle. I'm quite clear that if b=c the orbit is perfectly circular with constant tangential speed. But if b≠c (let's say b>c) is the motion elliptical with ±b as the semi-major axis?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
d2x said:
I'm given the position vector as a function of time for a particle (b, c and ω are constants):

[itex]\vec{r(t)} = \hat{x} b \cos(ωt) + \hat{y} c \sin(ωt)[/itex]

To obtain it's velocity i differentiate [itex] \vec{r(t)} [/itex] with respect to time and i obtain:

[itex]\vec{v(t)} = -\hat{x} ωb \sin(ωt) + \hat{y} ωc \cos(ωt)[/itex]

Now i have to describe the orbit of this particle. I'm quite clear that if b=c the orbit is perfectly circular with constant tangential speed. But if b≠c (let's say b>c) is the motion elliptical with ±b as the semi-major axis?
Thanks.

Yes, the larger value will determine the semi-major axis, the smaller will determine the semi-minor axis of an elliptical trajectory. Your expression for r(t) is one form of the equation for an ellipse.

Related to Finding the Orbit of a Particle with Varying Position Vector

1. How do you find the orbit of a particle with varying position vector?

The orbit of a particle with varying position vector can be found by using the equation for centripetal acceleration, which is equal to the velocity squared divided by the radius of the orbit. This equation can then be used to solve for the radius of the orbit and determine its shape and position.

2. What is a position vector and why is it important in finding the orbit of a particle?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in space. It is important in finding the orbit of a particle because it allows us to track the position of the particle as it moves through space and calculate its velocity and acceleration at any given point.

3. Can the orbit of a particle with varying position vector change over time?

Yes, the orbit of a particle with varying position vector can change over time. This is because the position vector is affected by external forces such as gravity, which can cause the particle's orbit to shift or change shape.

4. What factors can affect the orbit of a particle with varying position vector?

The orbit of a particle with varying position vector can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the particle, as well as external forces such as gravity and electromagnetic fields. Other factors such as the presence of other particles or objects in the surrounding space can also impact the particle's orbit.

5. Is it possible to calculate the orbit of a particle with varying position vector without knowing its initial conditions?

No, it is not possible to accurately calculate the orbit of a particle with varying position vector without knowing its initial conditions. These initial conditions, such as the particle's position and velocity at a specific point in time, are crucial in determining the shape and position of the orbit. Without this information, the calculations would not be accurate.