Finding the new diameter of a metal rod after tensile loading

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the resulting diameter of a metal rod after being subjected to a 2000 lb tensile load. The problem involves using the modulus of elasticity, Poisson's ratio, and yield strength. After some initial attempts at a solution, the final answer is determined to be 0.4998319324 inches, with some discussion on significant digits.
Jim4592

Homework Statement

A metal rod with a 0.5 inch diameter is subjected to a 2000 lb tensile load. Calculate the resulting diameter of the rod after loading. Assume that the modulus of elasticity is 10,000,000 psi, Poisson's ratio is 0.33, and the yield strength is 21,000 psi.

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure how to go about this problem, below is how I started going about it but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

σ = P/A = 2000 psi / ( (Pi(0.5^2)/4)) = 1.02 (10^4) psi

y = (σy - v(σz + σx) ) / E
= (1.02(10^4) - 0.33 * 0) 10,000,000 psi

y = 0.00102 in/in

Now I'm not really sure what next, or even if what I did to this poing is correct.

Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim4592: Put a subscript on sigma in your first formula. The subscripts in your second formula are incorrect. Correct those, and try again. Also, always maintain four or five significant digits throughout all your intermediate calculations. Round only the final answer to three (or four) significant digits.

nvn: thanks for responding, I do use the full value during intermediate calculations but just for the purpose of posting here i shortened it some to save time.

After reading your response I went back and thought about it some more, here's my new attempt at a solution:

σx = P/A = 2000 psi / ((Pi * 0.52)/4)) = 1.018591636 (104) psi

x = ∆L/L = σx/E = 1.01859(104) psi/10,000,000 psi = 0.0010185916

∆d = d*v(∆L/L) = 0.5 in * 0.33 * 0.0010185916 = 1.6806762 (10-4) in

d = do - ∆d = 0.5 in - 1.68067 (10-4) = 0.4998319324 in

What do you think about my solution now?

Nice work, Jim4592. Regarding significant digits, generally don't list more than four or five (maximum six) significant digits on paper, in your intermediate calculations, even though you use the exact value in your calculator. Then round your final answer to three or four significant digits.

However, this particular problem might be somewhat of an exception, because of the minute quantities involved. I can see why you might want to round your final answer to up to five or six significant digits here. Nice work.

alright thanks for all your help!

Related to Finding the new diameter of a metal rod after tensile loading

1. How is the diameter of a metal rod affected by tensile loading?

When a metal rod is subjected to tensile loading, it experiences a pulling force that causes it to elongate. As the rod elongates, its cross-sectional area decreases, resulting in a decrease in diameter.

2. What is the formula for calculating the new diameter of a metal rod after tensile loading?

The formula for calculating the new diameter of a metal rod after tensile loading is D = d/(1 + ε), where D is the new diameter, d is the original diameter, and ε is the strain or change in length of the rod.

3. How is the strain of a metal rod determined after tensile loading?

The strain of a metal rod can be determined by measuring the change in length of the rod and dividing it by the original length. This value can then be used in the formula to calculate the new diameter.

4. Can the new diameter of a metal rod be greater than the original diameter after tensile loading?

No, the new diameter of a metal rod cannot be greater than the original diameter after tensile loading. This is because as the rod elongates, its cross-sectional area decreases, resulting in a decrease in diameter.

5. What other factors can affect the calculated new diameter of a metal rod after tensile loading?

Aside from the strain, the material properties of the metal rod, such as its elastic modulus and yield strength, can also affect the calculated new diameter. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and applied load can also impact the diameter of the rod after tensile loading.