Finding the Net Torque of a Circular Object

In summary: So in summary, the net torque on the circular object is 3.71 N·m, with two negative torques of -5.6 N·m and a positive torque of 1.09 N·m acting on it.
DrunkApple

Homework Statement

A circular-shaped object of mass 9 kg has an
inner radius of 7 cm and an outer radius of
20 cm. Three forces (acting perpendicular
to the axis of rotation) of magnitudes 12 N,
27 N, and 16 N act on the object, as shown.
The force of magnitude 27 N acts 29 below
the horizontal. Find the magnitude of the net torque on
the wheel about the axle through the center
of the object.
Answer in units of N · m

Homework Equations

t1 = r * F
t2 = r * F
t3 = r * F

The Attempt at a Solution

net torque = r1F1 + r1F2 + r3F3
= (.2)(12) + (0.2)(16) + (0.07)(27)
= 7.49 N * m
But it's wrong... why...

Physics news on Phys.org
You mention 'as shown'. I don't see where it is shown.

here is the picture that i draw. i hope it's good enough.

ok so i think i got it but check it for me.

If torque is going clockwise, it's negative. If it's counterclockwise, it's positive.

So two torques are negative because if I pull the radius, the circle will turn clockwise.
12(0.2) and 16(0.2) are negative torques which is -5.6.

But the third one is positive because it is when I pull the radius, it will spin clockwise.
27(0.07) which is 1.09

So net torque is -5.6 + 1.09 is -3.71.

But since it is asking for magnitude, I can put absolute value on net torque which is 3.71. Is that right?

Attachments

• Physics.png
    Physics.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Yes, think of magnitude as an absolute value.

I would like to point out that the equation used to calculate net torque is incorrect. The correct equation is net torque = r1F1sinθ1 + r2F2sinθ2 + r3F3sinθ3, where θ is the angle between the force and the radius. In this case, the angle for the force of magnitude 27 N would be 29 degrees below the horizontal, which would result in a different value for the net torque. Additionally, the units for torque should be N*m, not N*m^2. I recommend double checking the calculations and using the correct equation to find the net torque.

Related to Finding the Net Torque of a Circular Object

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you find the net torque of a circular object?

To find the net torque of a circular object, you need to determine the individual torques acting on the object and then add them together. This can be done by multiplying the force applied to each point on the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to that point, and then adding all of these torques together.

3. What factors affect the net torque of a circular object?

The net torque of a circular object is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation where the forces are applied. The shape and mass distribution of the object can also impact the net torque.

4. How do you calculate the net torque if there are multiple forces acting on the object?

If there are multiple forces acting on the object, you need to calculate the torque for each force separately and then add them together. Remember to consider the direction and distance of each force from the axis of rotation.

5. Why is finding the net torque of a circular object important?

Finding the net torque of a circular object is important because it helps us understand the rotational motion of the object. It allows us to predict how the object will move and how much force is needed to produce a desired amount of rotation.