Finding the natural frequency of a steel beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the natural frequency of a steel beam using various equations and values such as length, width, thickness, modulus of elasticity, and density. After plugging in the values and solving for the natural frequency, it is found to be significantly different from the experimental value. The issue is resolved by correcting the units for the modulus of elasticity, which should be in N/m^2 rather than psi.
hks118

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the natural frequency of a steel beam.

Homework Equations

I=1/12*W*T^3
Volume= T*W*L
M0=V*ρ
K=(3EI/L^3)
Meff=(33/140)*M0+Mend
ωn=√(k/Meff)

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be a simple plug and chug problem but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

L=0.4572m
W=0.026035m
T=0.006223m
E= 3*10^6
ρ=7850kg/m^3

Mend=.025kg

I=5.22848E-10

V=7.41E-05 m^3

M0=5.81E-01

K=0.049237907

Meff=2.43E-01

ωn=0.450088787 Hz

But this is way off from my experimental value of around 20Hz. Everything is in kg and m.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry to ask this , what is K and what is E? and their units

Your modulus of elasticity appears to have units of psi. Change it to N/m^2 & you'll fix your problem.

natural frequency = (square root)k/m

E for steel is 3*10^7 psi (30,000,000 psi) not 3,000,000 psi

Related to Finding the natural frequency of a steel beam

What is the natural frequency of a steel beam?

The natural frequency of a steel beam refers to the frequency at which the beam vibrates when it is excited without any external forces.

How is the natural frequency of a steel beam determined?

The natural frequency of a steel beam can be determined by calculating the beam's stiffness, mass, and boundary conditions. These calculations can be done using mathematical equations or through experimental methods such as modal analysis.

Why is it important to know the natural frequency of a steel beam?

Knowing the natural frequency of a steel beam is important in order to avoid vibrations that can cause damage and failure of the beam. It also helps in designing structures that can withstand the natural frequency and prevent resonance.

What factors can affect the natural frequency of a steel beam?

The natural frequency of a steel beam can be affected by its length, cross-sectional area, material properties, and boundary conditions. Changes in any of these factors can alter the natural frequency.

Can the natural frequency of a steel beam be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a steel beam can be changed by altering its physical properties such as length, cross-sectional area, and material. Changing the boundary conditions can also affect the natural frequency.