Finding the n in stokes theorem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the right-hand rule to find the normal (n) in Stokes' theorem. The curl of F is given and the book found that n=k, using the right-hand rule. The right-hand rule states that if you have motion around a closed plane curve and you point your right hand fingers along the curve in the direction of motion, your thumb will point in the direction of the corresponding normal to orient the surface for Stokes' theorem. However, the book does not explain this concept well.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble finding the n in stokes theorem.

For example,

F(x,y,z)= z2i+2xj-y3; C is the circle x2 + y2=1 in the xy-plane with counterclockwise orientation looking down the positive z-axis.

∫∫CurlF*n

I know the curl is -3y2i+2zj+2k

The book found that n=k and just multiplied it out. I don't understand where they got that value.

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble finding the n in stokes theorem.

For example,

F(x,y,z)= z2i+2xj-y3; C is the circle x2 + y2=1 in the xy-plane with counterclockwise orientation looking down the positive z-axis.

∫∫CurlF*n

I know the curl is -3y2i+2zj+2k

The book found that n=k and just multiplied it out. I don't understand where they got that value.

Thanks

Imagine grabbing the z axis with your right hand with your thumb pointing up the axis. Are you fingers going counterclockwise when you look down at them. If so, your thumb is pointing the direction of the normal, which in this case is k. It's the "right-hand rule".

Thanks for the response, Let's say it was moving in the negative z direction, thus going counterclockwise would it just be -k? Also the book doesn't seem to explain that whole topic very well.

Mdhiggenz said:
Thanks for the response, Let's say it was moving in the negative z direction, thus going counterclockwise would it just be -k? Also the book doesn't seem to explain that whole topic very well.

? A particle going in the negative z direction is not going counterclockwise or clockwise. It is going in a straight line.

The right hand rule states that if you have motion around a closed plane curve and you point your right hand fingers along the curve in the direction of motion, your thumb will point in the direction of the corresponding normal to orient the surface for Stokes' theorem.

Related to Finding the n in stokes theorem.

1. What is the significance of "n" in Stokes' Theorem?

"n" represents the dimension of the surface in Stokes' Theorem. It is used to calculate the path integral around a closed surface in a higher dimensional space.

2. How does Stokes' Theorem relate to Green's Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem in two dimensions. Green's Theorem is a special case of Stokes' Theorem when the dimension "n" equals 2.

3. Can Stokes' Theorem be applied to any surface?

Stokes' Theorem can only be applied to smooth and orientable surfaces. This means that the surface must not have any sharp edges or corners and must have a consistent orientation throughout.

4. What is the formula for calculating the path integral in Stokes' Theorem?

The formula for the path integral in Stokes' Theorem is ∫∫S (curl F) · dS, where S is the surface, curl F is the curl of the vector field F, and dS is the differential of the surface area.

5. How is Stokes' Theorem used in real-world applications?

Stokes' Theorem is widely used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate the flow of fluids, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in differential geometry to study the curvature of surfaces.