Finding the momentum-space wave function for the infinite square well

You need to add up many different fp's to get psi(x).In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum-space wave function for the nth stationary state of an infinite square well. Two methods are presented, but they do not match up due to the fact that the spatial wave function is only zero outside the well and cannot be expressed as a linear combination of just two momentum eigenfunctions.
epsilonjon

Homework Statement

Find the momentum-space wave function for the nth stationary state of the infinite square well.

Homework Equations

Nth state position-space wavefunction:

[itex]\Psi_n(x,t) = \sqrt(\frac{2}{a})sin(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex].

Momentum operator in position space:

[itex]\hat{p} = -i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

As a result of an earlier question I know that you can write

[itex]\Psi_n(x,t) = \sqrt(\frac{2}{a})sin(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex]
[itex]= \sqrt(\frac{2}{a})[\frac{e^{i n\pi x/a}-e^{-i n\pi x/a}}{2i}]e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{-i}{\sqrt(2a)}[\sqrt(a)f_{n\pi\hbar/a}(x) - \sqrt(a)f_{-n\pi\hbar/a}(x)]e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{-i}{\sqrt(2)}[f_{n\pi\hbar/a}(x) - f_{-n\pi\hbar/a}(x)]e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex](*)

where [itex]f_{p}(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt(a)}e^{ipx/\hbar}[/itex] are the momentum eigenfunctions (when we're in position space) normalized over 0≤x≤a.

Now when you write [itex]\Psi_n(x,t)[/itex] as a sum (or integral) of momentum eigenfunctions then [itex]\Phi_n(p,t)[/itex] is the coefficient of these eigenfunctions right? So combining this with (*) do we not get that

[itex]\Phi(p,t) = \frac{-i}{\sqrt(2)}e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex] when [itex]p=n\pi\hbar/a[/itex];
[itex]\Phi(p,t) = \frac{i}{\sqrt(2)}e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}[/itex] when [itex]p=-n\pi\hbar/a[/itex];
[itex]\Phi(p,t) = 0[/itex] otherwise .

And note that the sum of the squares of these adds up to 1, as it should.

But now if I just did it without thinking so much, and did

[itex]\Phi_n(p,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt(2\pi\hbar)}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\Psi_n(x,t)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx[/itex]

then I get the result

[itex]\Phi_n(p,t) = \frac{\sqrt(a\pi)}{\sqrt(\hbar)}\frac{ne^{-iE_nt/\hbar}}{(n\pi)^2 - (ap/\hbar)^2}[1-(-1)^ne^{-ipa/\hbar}][/itex].

Now this function does peak at those "special" momentum values [itex]p=\pm n\pi\hbar/a[/itex], but it is non-zero for the other values.

So how come the two methods do not match up? The first says that I am certain to measure one of the two momentum values [itex]p=\pm n\pi\hbar/a[/itex], but the second says I can also get others. Which is correct?

Thanks for any help! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's because the ##\psi(x) = 0## outside the well, but the linear combination of fpn(x) and f-pn(x) doesn't vanish. In other words, you can't express the spatial wave function as a linear combination of just the two f's.

Related to Finding the momentum-space wave function for the infinite square well

1. What is momentum-space wave function for the infinite square well?

The momentum-space wave function for the infinite square well is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude of finding a particle with a certain momentum in an infinite square well potential.

2. How is the momentum-space wave function related to the position-space wave function?

The momentum-space wave function is related to the position-space wave function through a Fourier transform. This means that the momentum-space wave function can be obtained by taking the Fourier transform of the position-space wave function.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the momentum-space wave function in the infinite square well potential?

The momentum-space wave function must satisfy the same boundary conditions as the position-space wave function in the infinite square well potential. This means that the wave function must be continuous and vanish at the boundaries of the well.

4. How is the momentum-space wave function affected by the size of the infinite square well potential?

The size of the infinite square well potential affects the momentum-space wave function by changing the allowed momenta and their corresponding probability amplitudes. A larger well will have a greater range of allowed momenta and a smaller well will have a more limited range.

5. What is the physical significance of the momentum-space wave function in the infinite square well potential?

The momentum-space wave function provides information about the momentum of a particle in the infinite square well potential. It can be used to calculate the expectation value of momentum and the uncertainty in momentum, and it also helps to determine the energy levels of the system.