Finding the Mean/Median of a Normally Distributed Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of estimating the mean of a distribution with limited information, such as a known standard deviation and a data point. However, it is noted that more information, such as the total number of data points, is needed to accurately estimate the mean. The 68-95-99.7 rule for normal distributions is also mentioned, but it is stated that it may not apply in this situation due to the data point being zero. Finally, a specific scenario is presented where the mean can be estimated using a standardized normal distribution.
cns
I am given that the lowest value on a graph is 0 and that it's SD is 20, but I need to find the mean? How would I do that? I would think to use the Z-test formula but I keep getting 0 which is wrong for sure since 0 is the lowest value of the graph

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't get it with that amount of information.

I was thinking that since the lowest x value is 0 and we know that the SD is 25 isn't there some way to figure out using the SD how far away the mean (midpoint) is from 0?

thanks

cns said:
I was thinking that since the lowest x value is 0 and we know that the SD is 25 isn't there some way to figure out using the SD how far away the mean (midpoint) is from 0?

thanks

Only if the distribution is the Standard Normal. In that case, the mean is 0 and and the SD is 1. However, the normal (Gaussian) distribution has infinite tails so there is no "lowest" probability value. You would need to assign your 0 data value a probability density assuming the Standard Normal Distribution, and then substitute your own data values.

Last edited:
I don't think you can technically get the answer Although; I know what you may be thinking of.

68% of data is in the first SD of the mean, 95% of data is within 2 standard deviations, and 99.7% of data is within 3.

So unless they want you to guess its about 60 as the mean, I don't think you can get it, cause technically .15% of data would still be lower than 0 if mean was 60

Wiki info cause I've only learned stats through self learning:
If a data distribution is approximately normal then about 68% of the data values are within 1 standard deviation of the mean (mathematically, μ ± σ, where μ is the arithmetic mean), about 95% are within two standard deviations (μ ± 2σ), and about 99.7% lie within 3 standard deviations (μ ± 3σ). This is known as the 68-95-99.7 rule, or the empirical rule.

The OP has a data point and a value for the SD. If a probability density can be assigned to the data point and one assumes a standard Gaussian PDF, why couldn't the OP estimate the mean (which would also be the median in the standardized normal distribution)?

SW VandeCarr said:
The OP has a data point and a value for the SD. If a probability density can be assigned to the data point and one assumes a standard Gaussian PDF, why couldn't the OP estimate the mean (which would also be the median in the standardized normal distribution)?

Actually you and Reyzal are both right for different reasons. I think OP did not provide all the details required to solve the question. I believe we need the total number of data points to provide an answer.

ych22 said:
Actually you and Reyzal are both right for different reasons. I think OP did not provide all the details required to solve the question. I believe we need the total number of data points to provide an answer.

The OP provided a known SD and a data point x. I stipulated that we must know:

[tex]p(x\leq a)[/tex] the probability of a value x equal or less than 'a' (probability density). The OP gave a=0 and SD=20. We assume a SND with monotonically increasing values of x plotted against [tex]F(x)=p(x\leq a)[/tex]. Say for the sake of a demonstration that x are temperatures in deg Celsius. We know that [tex]F(x)=p(x\leq 0)[/tex] Let G(F(x)) = Z. Than if

F(x)<0.5: [tex]a+G(F(x))\sigma=\mu[/tex]

F(x)=0.5: [tex]a=\mu[/tex]

F(x)>0.5: [tex]a-G(F(x))\sigma=\mu[/tex]

So if G(F(x))= 0.50 and F(x)<0.5 then the mean is 0+0.5(20)= 10 deg C

EDIT: cns: I just wanted to show a specific circumstance where you could estimate the mean with one zero value data point and a known SD. In general you can't. If you have a discrete variable with a non-zero probability for a zero valued data point you will usually need all the data to calculate an estimate of say [tex]\lambda[/tex] of a Poisson distribution.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Mean/Median of a Normally Distributed Curve

1. What is the difference between mean and median?

The mean is the average value of a set of data, calculated by adding all the values in the data set and dividing by the number of values. The median is the middle value in a data set when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. In a normally distributed curve, the mean and median are usually close in value, but the mean is more affected by extreme values.

2. How do you calculate the mean of a normally distributed curve?

To calculate the mean of a normally distributed curve, add all the values in the data set and divide by the number of values. This will give you the average value of the data set.

3. How do you calculate the median of a normally distributed curve?

To calculate the median of a normally distributed curve, arrange the values in ascending or descending order and find the middle value. If there is an even number of values, take the average of the two middle values.

4. Can the mean and median be the same in a normally distributed curve?

Yes, it is possible for the mean and median to be the same in a normally distributed curve. This is more likely to occur when the data set is symmetrical.

5. How is a normally distributed curve affected by outliers?

In a normally distributed curve, outliers can greatly affect the mean, pulling it towards the extreme value. However, the median is less affected by outliers and will remain closer to the central tendency of the data set.