Finding the maximum surface area of an inscribed cylinder in a sphere

In summary, the problem is to find the radius and height of an open right circular cylinder that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius a and has the largest surface area. The surface area is determined by the function f(h,r) = 2 \pi r h and the constraint a^2 = r^2 + h^2. The correct constraint is crucial in solving the problem, with the incorrect constraints leading to incorrect solutions.
Mindscrape
The problem is to find the radius and height of the open right circular cylinder of largest surface area that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius a. What is the largest surface area?

The open cylinder's surface area will be
[tex] f(h,r) = 2 \pi r h [/tex]

I am not really sure about the sphere, because I'm not really sure about the constraints that would apply. It looks like it would just be
[tex] a^2 = r^2 + h^2 + r^2 = 2r^2 +h^2[/tex], but this would only be if the cylinder is centered about the origin. But I guess that since it is a sphere, and perfectly symmetrical, then trying to squeeze the cylinder in diagonally would be the same as along the origin. Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mindscrape said:
... But I guess that since it is a sphere, and perfectly symmetrical, then trying to squeeze the cylinder in diagonally would be the same as along the origin. Right?

Yes, it is the same. Combine the constraint into the function and try to differentiate.

Huh, I got something funny:

[tex] \nabla f = \lambda \nabla g [/tex]
[tex] \nabla f = (2 \pi r)i + (2 \pi h)j[/tex]
[tex] \nabla g = (4r)i + (2h)j [/tex]
so
[tex] 2 \pi r = \lambda 4r[/tex]
[tex] 2 \pi h = \lambda 2h[/tex]
which means
[tex]\lambda = \frac{ \pi}{2} = \pi[/tex]?

Last edited:
No, I'm pretty sure [itex]\pi\ne \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]!

I think the constraint you set is wrong. It should be [tex]a^2 = r^2 + \left(\frac{h}{2}\right)^2[/tex], unless I'm missing something.

Ah crap, you are right. I just realized that I built the constraint wrong. But this constraint doesn't work either. The only one that would work would be [tex] a^2 = r^2 + h^2[/tex].

Last edited:

Related to Finding the maximum surface area of an inscribed cylinder in a sphere

What is a cylinder inscribed in a sphere?

A cylinder inscribed in a sphere is a 3-dimensional shape in which the cylinder's bases are tangent to the surface of the sphere and the cylinder's lateral surface is confined within the sphere.

What are the properties of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere?

The properties of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere include: the cylinder's height is equal to the sphere's diameter, the cylinder's lateral surface area is equal to the sphere's surface area, and the cylinder's volume is equal to two-thirds of the sphere's volume.

How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere?

To calculate the volume of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere, you can use the formula V = 2/3 * π * r^3, where r is the radius of the sphere.

What is the relationship between the radius of the sphere and the height of the cylinder inscribed in it?

The height of the cylinder inscribed in a sphere is always equal to the radius of the sphere. This means that the ratio of the cylinder's height to its radius is always 1:1.

What are some real-world applications of cylinders inscribed in spheres?

Cylinders inscribed in spheres are commonly used in architecture and engineering, such as in the design of domes and arches. They are also used in the design of containers and storage tanks, as the volume of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere is more efficient and can hold more than a regular cylinder with the same diameter and height.