Finding the Limit of x as t Tends to Infinity

In summary, the limit of the given expression as t tends to infinity is 1/4. If k is negative, the limit will be 1/2 instead.
nokia8650
"x = (e^(2kt) - 1)/(4e^(2kt) - 2)"

How would I find the limit of this expression as t tends to infinity?

As t --> infinity, the two exponentials also tend to infinity. However, that was as far as I could go. It is clear by subbing large values of t in, that the limit should be 1/4, however I am unable to prove this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor e^(2kt) out of the top and bottom.

One of the first things you should have learned is to divide both numerator and denominator by the "largest" term- in this case e^(2kt) (that's what Vid was saying). You will be left with e^(-2kt) in each and that's easy.

You could also use L'Hopital's rule here but that is "overkill"

k is positive, I hope. Otherwise you'd better split into cases.

If k is negative, the only thing that changes is whether you add or subtract zero; there's no need for cases.

Vid said:
If k is negative, the only thing that changes is whether you add or subtract zero; there's no need for cases.

Add or subtract zero? There are three different cases. k>0, k=0 and k<0.

My statement about k being positive or negative is true,but I did forget about k=0, which does need its own case.

Thanks so much for the help. I forget to mention that k is positive. Therefore, I get:

x = (1-1/e(^2kt)) / ((4 - 2/e(^2kt))

Thus, as t tends to infinity, x will tend to 1/4.

However, say k were to be negative, how would it change? Would x tend to 1?

Thanks

If k is negative then exp(2kt)->0. Then you can just drop the exponentials and get 1/2.

Related to Finding the Limit of x as t Tends to Infinity

What is the limit of x as t tends to infinity?

The limit of x as t tends to infinity is the value that x approaches as t increases without bound. It is denoted by lim x→∞ and is often used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity.

How do you find the limit of x as t tends to infinity?

To find the limit of x as t tends to infinity, you can use the following steps:

1. Simplify the expression involving x and t, if possible.

2. Substitute ∞ for t in the simplified expression.

3. Evaluate the resulting expression, if possible. This will give you the limit of x as t tends to infinity.

What does it mean when the limit of x as t tends to infinity is undefined?

When the limit of x as t tends to infinity is undefined, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as t increases without bound. This can happen when the function oscillates or when there is an asymptote.

Why is finding the limit of x as t tends to infinity important in calculus?

The concept of limits is fundamental in calculus as it allows us to understand the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. In this case, finding the limit of x as t tends to infinity helps us understand the long-term behavior of a function and can be used to solve various problems in calculus.

Can the limit of x as t tends to infinity be a complex number?

No, the limit of x as t tends to infinity must be a real number or undefined. This is because infinity is not a real number and cannot be used in the traditional sense of mathematical operations. However, in some cases, the limit may approach positive or negative infinity, which can be considered as extended real numbers.