Finding the Laurent Series of e^(1/(1-z)) for Residue Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Laurent series of e^{1/(1-z)} to get the residue at z=1. The attempt at a solution involves using the Taylor series of e^x around x=1, but the correct approach is to use the Maclaurin series of e^x, as it is defined for any value of x. This allows for expanding e^{1/(1-z)} into a power series and obtaining the desired residue. The conversation also touches on the use of multiple poles and finding the residues for them.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Hi! I need to find the laurent series of ##e^{1/(1-z)}## to get the residue at ##z=1##. Can somebody help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q71/s720x720/1461607_10201796752217165_1002449331_n.jpg

I tried using the taylor series of e^x around x=1, but I seem to have failed.. what am I to do? I can't use the maclaurin series of e^x, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

Hi! I need to find the laurent series of ##e^{1/(1-z)}## to get the residue at ##z=1##. Can somebody help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q71/s720x720/1461607_10201796752217165_1002449331_n.jpg

I tried using the taylor series of e^x around x=1, but I seem to have failed.. what am I to do? I can't use the maclaurin series of e^x, right?

You can and should. [itex]e^x = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!}[/itex] is a definition of [itex]e^x[/itex]. Setting [itex]x = (1 - z)^{-1}[/itex] is clearly going to give you a sum of powers of [itex](z - 1)[/itex], which is after all what you want.

But why can you do that? Shouldn't the taylor series used to find the laurent series be expanded about the same value as the laurent series is being expanded about (in this case z=1)?

Could you remind me of the rules for stuff?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
But why can you do that? Shouldn't the taylor series used to find the laurent series be expanded about the same value as the laurent series is being expanded about (in this case z=1)?

Why should it?

If the power series [itex]g(z) = \sum a_n z^n[/itex] has radius of convergence [itex]R[/itex], then if [itex]|f(z)| < R[/itex] we have [itex]g(f(z)) = \sum a_n f(z)^n[/itex].

If [itex]f(z)[/itex] is not within the radius of convergence then one generally has to find a different power series for [itex]g[/itex]. But that would point to expanding [itex]g[/itex] in a Taylor series about [itex]f(z_0)[/itex], not [itex]z_0[/itex] itself.

Conveniently the power series for exp, which is in fact the definition of the exp function on the complex plane, has infinite radius of convergence, so
[tex]
\exp (f(z)) = \sum_{n= 0}^{\infty} \frac{f(z)^n}{n!}
[/tex]
for any [itex]f(z)[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Hmm, indeed. But still, what happens if f(z) has multiple poles? How would you find the residues of them?

Related to Finding the Laurent Series of e^(1/(1-z)) for Residue Calculation

1. What is the Laurent Series of e^(1/(1-z)) for Residue Calculation?

The Laurent Series of e^(1/(1-z)) for Residue Calculation is a mathematical representation of the function e^(1/(1-z)), which is used to calculate the residues at singular points of the function. It is a series expansion that includes both positive and negative powers of (1-z).

2. How is the Laurent Series derived?

The Laurent Series is derived using the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which states that the residue at a singular point of a complex function can be calculated by evaluating the contour integral of the function around that point. By expanding the function into a series and integrating each term, the coefficients of the series can be used to calculate the residues.

3. What is the significance of finding the Laurent Series for Residue Calculation?

Finding the Laurent Series for Residue Calculation is important because it allows us to calculate the residues of complex functions, which are essential in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. Residues play a crucial role in evaluating integrals, solving differential equations, and understanding the behavior of complex functions.

4. What are some applications of the Laurent Series?

The Laurent Series has many applications in mathematics and its various branches. It is used to solve differential equations, evaluate complex integrals, and find the poles and residues of complex functions. It is also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems with complex behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laurent Series for Residue Calculation?

While the Laurent Series is a powerful tool for calculating residues, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for functions with isolated singularities, and the series may not converge for all values of the variable. Additionally, the process of finding the series expansion can be tedious and time-consuming for more complex functions.