Finding the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire

In summary, the problem involves a bead with mass m sliding on a wire shaped like a parabola (az = x^2). The motion of the bead is constrained to the x-z plane and the kinetic energy is to be expressed in terms of m, a, x, and x-dot by eliminating z and z-dot using the given constraint equations. One possible solution for the kinetic energy is K = (1/2)m(x-dot)^2 + [(x-dot)^4/a^2]. The equations for z and z-dot are z = x^2/a and z-dot = 2x(x-dot)/a, respectively.
Rumor

Homework Statement

"A bead with mass m slides without friction on a wire which lies in a vertical plane near the earth. The wire lies in the x-z plane and is bent into a shape conforming to the parabola az = x2, where a is a positive known constant. (X is horizontal and z is vertical) The particle moves in the x-z plane but its motion is constrained by the requirement that it remains on the wire.

Find the kinetic energy in terms of m, a, x, x-dot. (Eliminate z and z-dot using the constraint)"

Homework Equations

z = x2/a and z-dot = (x-dot)2/a
(I think these are the restraint equations, unless I did these wrong.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that K = (1/2)mv2, so in this case wouldn't that translate to K = (1/2)*m*((x-dot)2 + (z-dot)2)?

If so, then continuing on, K = (1/2)*m*(x-dot)2+((x-dot)2/a)2) or K = (1/2)*m*(x-dot)2+[(x-dot)4/a2]

Am I doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rumor said:

Homework Equations

z = x2/a and z-dot = (x-dot)2/a
(I think these are the restraint equations, unless I did these wrong.)

z-dot = what now?

It's not specified within the problem given. I just rearranged the given equation ( az = x^2 ) and applied it to z-dot as well, since part of the problem later requires eliminating z and z-dot.

Well, I would have written z-dot = 2x(x-dot)/a.

Would you like to see how I got that? Might be a chance for you to make a fool out of me. It happens often enough! :-)

Yes, you are on the right track. However, the constraint equation should be z = x^2/a, not z = x^2. So, the correct expression for z-dot would be z-dot = (2x*x-dot)/a.

Using this, the kinetic energy can be written as K = (1/2)*m*((x-dot)^2 + (2x*x-dot)^2/a^2). Simplifying this further, we get K = (1/2)*m*((1 + 4x^2/a^2)*(x-dot)^2).

So, the final expression for the kinetic energy in terms of m, a, x, and x-dot would be K = (1/2)*m*(1 + 4x^2/a^2)*(x-dot)^2.

Related to Finding the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire

1. What is the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire?

The Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire is the mathematical function that describes the system's energy and motion. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the bead, as well as any potential energy due to the position of the bead on the wire.

2. How do you find the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire?

To find the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire, you first need to determine the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. The kinetic energy can be calculated using the bead's mass and velocity, while the potential energy depends on the position of the bead on the wire. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the Lagrangian equation, which is L = T - U, where T is the kinetic energy and U is the potential energy.

3. Why is it important to find the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire?

Finding the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire allows us to analyze the system's motion and energy in a more efficient and accurate way. It also allows us to apply the principles of mechanics, such as the conservation of energy and the principle of least action, to the system.

4. What are some real-life examples of a bead sliding along a wire?

One common example of a bead sliding along a wire is a roller coaster. The roller coaster cars can be seen as beads sliding along the track. Another example is a bead on an abacus, where the wire represents the rod and the bead slides along it to represent different numerical values.

5. Can the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire change over time?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire can change over time if the system's energy or motion changes. This can happen if external forces are applied to the bead, or if the position of the bead on the wire changes. The Lagrangian is a dynamic function that reflects the current state of the system.