Finding the kinematic degree of indeterminacy?

In summary, the website and example discussed have one degree of kinematic indeterminacy due to the roller supports only having one degree of freedom. Neglecting axial deformations means looking at the number of independent constraints, which in this case is one, matching the number of unknowns and resulting in one degree of indeterminacy.
mneox
I am currently looking at this website: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~fanous/ce332/displ/homepage.html

And this example that they went through: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~fanous/ce332/displ/homepage.html

Why does that structure only have one degree of kinematic indeterminacy? I understand that the fixed end has no DOFs, but wouldn't roller supports have 2 DOFs?

Could someone explain this concept to me

I get how to find DOFs if there were axial deformations, but what do I do when we neglect them?

Physics news on Phys.org
The structure you are looking at has only one degree of kinematic indeterminacy because the roller supports only have one degree of freedom. The roller support can only move in one direction, so it does not introduce additional degrees of freedom. When we neglect axial deformations, we look at how many independent equations of constraint the structure has. If it has fewer than the number of unknowns, then there is an indeterminacy. In this example, the fixed end has no DOFs, so that means that the structure has just one equation of constraint. Since there is one unknown (the displacement of the roller support), there is one degree of indeterminacy.

Related to Finding the kinematic degree of indeterminacy?

What is the kinematic degree of indeterminacy?

The kinematic degree of indeterminacy is a measure of the number of independent unknown displacements in a structure. It is used to determine the stability and determinacy of a structure.

How is the kinematic degree of indeterminacy calculated?

The kinematic degree of indeterminacy is calculated by subtracting the number of support reactions from the number of unknown displacements in a structure. The remaining number is the kinematic degree of indeterminacy.

Why is it important to find the kinematic degree of indeterminacy?

Knowing the kinematic degree of indeterminacy of a structure is important because it helps determine whether the structure is stable and can resist external loads without collapsing. It also helps in the design process by determining the number of redundant members needed to make a structure determinate.

What factors can affect the kinematic degree of indeterminacy?

The kinematic degree of indeterminacy can be affected by the type of support used, the number of support reactions, and the number of redundant members in a structure. It can also be influenced by the type of loads applied and the complexity of the structure.

How does the kinematic degree of indeterminacy relate to structural analysis?

The kinematic degree of indeterminacy is an important factor in structural analysis as it helps determine the number of unknown displacements that need to be solved for. It also helps in identifying the type of structural analysis method to be used, such as the flexibility method or the stiffness method.