Finding the Inverse Function of a Trigonometric Expression

In summary, the inverse function of f(x) is tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) for every x in the interval ]0,pi/2[.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

There were other questions before this one but i solved them all.

Find the inverse function of [tex]f(x)=arctan(\sqrt{1+x^{2}}-x)[/tex] for every x in the interval ]0,pi/2[ .That's the interval that I found when counting f(R) because f is a bijection from R to f(R). Hence f(R)=J=]0,pi/2[. ( just in case someone was wondering where i got it from?

The Attempt at a Solution

For every x in J we get :

[tex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
x=arctan(\sqrt{1+y^{2}}-y)\Rightarrow tan(x)=tan(arctan(\sqrt{1+y^{2}}-y) & \Rightarrow & tan(x)=\sqrt{1+y^{2}}-y\\
& \Rightarrow & tan(x)+y=\sqrt{1+y^{2}}\\
& \Rightarrow & tan^{2}(x)+2ytan(x)+y^{2}=1+y^{2}
\end{eqnarray*}[/tex]

then [tex]tan^{2}(x)+2ytan(x)+y^{2}=1+y^{2}\Rightarrow tan(x)[tan(x)+2y]=1\Rightarrow tan(x)+2y=\frac{1}{tan(x)}\Rightarrow tan(x)+2y=tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)[/tex]

then [tex]tan(x)+2y=tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)\Longrightarrow2y=tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-2x)\Rightarrow y=\frac{1}{2}[tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-2x)][/tex]

Is that correct, because the given answer here is: [tex]f^{-1}(x)=tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-2x)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:
then [tex]tan(x)+2y=tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)\Longrightarrow2y=tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-2x)[/tex]

I'm not really seeing how you did this step.

micromass said:
I'm not really seeing how you did this step.

I did 2y= tan(pi/2-x)-tan(x) and i did 2y=tan(pi/2-x-x) and then i got 2y=tan(pi/2-2x)

And I don't see why

[tex]\tan(\pi/2 - x)-\tan(x)=\tan(\pi/2 - x-x)[/tex]

micromass said:
And I don't see why

[tex]\tan(\pi/2 - x)-\tan(x)=\tan(\pi/2 - x-x)[/tex]

Why not??

mtayab1994 said:
Why not??

If you think the equality holds, then it's up to you to prove it. I just don't see where it comes form. Do you have a justification for the equality?
If you do not find a justification, then you might think that it is not true. Try some easy values for x and see if the equality holds. If you found one value for which it does not hold, then you have disproven the equality.

micromass said:
If you think the equality holds, then it's up to you to prove it. I just don't see where it comes form. Do you have a justification for the equality?
If you do not find a justification, then you might think that it is not true. Try some easy values for x and see if the equality holds. If you found one value for which it does not hold, then you have disproven the equality.

I'm sorry I was lost when thinking about that. It should be [tex]y=\frac{1}{2}[tan(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)-tan(x)][/tex] but then when you want to simplify what can you do??

You need to prove somehow that

[tex]2\tan(\pi/2 -2x)=\tan(\pi/2 -x) - \tan(x)[/tex]

So you see formula's that allow you to do that??

mtayab1994 said:
... then [tex]\tan^{2}(x)+2y\tan(x)+y^{2}=1+y^{2}\ \Rightarrow\dots[/tex]
The y2's cancel, leaving

[itex]\tan^{2}(x)+2y\tan(x)=1[/itex]

Solve that for y.

SammyS said:
The y2's cancel, leaving

[itex]\tan^{2}(x)+2y\tan(x)=1[/itex]

Solve that for y.

y=(1-tan^2(x))/(2tan(x))

mtayab1994 said:
y=(1-tan^2(x))/(2tan(x))
Right, and that's also the reciprocal of the identity for tan(2x) .

Related to Finding the Inverse Function of a Trigonometric Expression

1. What is a simple inverse function?

A simple inverse function is a mathematical relationship between two variables where the input and output values are switched. In other words, the function "undoes" the original operation.

2. How do you find the inverse of a simple function?

To find the inverse of a simple function, you can use the following steps:

1. Write the original function in the form of y = f(x).

2. Switch the places of x and y, so that it becomes x = f(y).

3. Solve for y, which will give you the inverse function.

For example, if the original function is y = 2x + 3, the inverse function would be x = (y-3)/2.

3. What is the domain and range of a simple inverse function?

The domain of a simple inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of the inverse function is the domain of the original function. In other words, the input and output values are switched between the two functions.

4. Can a simple function have more than one inverse?

Yes, a simple function can have more than one inverse. This can happen when the original function is not a one-to-one function, meaning that different input values can result in the same output value. In this case, each unique output value would have its own corresponding inverse function.

5. How is a simple inverse function useful in real life?

A simple inverse function can be useful in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the original quantity or value from a known result. For example, if you know the final price of an item including tax, you can use the inverse of the tax rate to find the original price before tax. In finance, inverse functions are used in compound interest calculations, and in physics, they are used to calculate the initial position or velocity of an object given its final position or velocity.