Finding the initial velocity and time period of a projectile

In summary, the problem is to find the initial velocity and time of flight for an arrow to hit an apple at a certain distance and height. The equations used are v*cos(theta)*t = 20 and 3 = (v*sin(theta)*t) + (9.81*t^2)/2, with v = (2000+2000(tan(theta))^2)/ (3 + 20 Tan(theta)) as the final equation. The goal is to find the lowest possible velocity to hit the target, which involves maximizing the quadratic function for a given v. This can be done by calculating the maximum height at x for a given v and then finding the minimum v that can hit the target at that maximum height.
Wisal

Homework Statement

In the Fig.
What should be the initial velocity (magnitude and direction) of the arrow? Also calculate the time of flight.
10996590_972978676065348_864850896699954934_n.jpg
10996590_972978676065348_864850896699954934_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have formulated 2 equations:
v*cos(theta) * t = 20
and 3 = (v * Sin(theta) * t) + (9.81 * t^2)/2
when t = time of flight
and v = initial velocity

I have further gone to a final equation
v = (2000+2000(tan(theta))^2)/ (3 + 20 Tan(theta))
Any help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think there is only one way to hit the apple?

Well, intuitively speaking, I think that this problem will have a range of values as we can hit the apple along a variety of trajectories.

That's correct. So, could you clarify what you are trying to calculate? For example, there will be a minimum value of v for which you can hit the apple.

But won't there be an optimal solution to this, the solution that takes the least time? I mean the value of v that takes the least time?

Wisal said:
But won't there be an optimal solution to this, the solution that takes the least time?

There's not really going to be a least time, as the least time will be for the fastest v.

I think there would be a longest time, associated with the lowest possible velocity.

Oh yes! How stupid of me to ask :P But how will we find the lowest value of v?

Wisal said:
Oh yes! How stupid of me to ask :P But how will we find the lowest value of v?

Are you sure you are not missing a constraint from the problem? It's quite tricky to calculate the lowest v to hit a point above the ground.

well the problem, unfortunately, in front of me only gives this information. I think that there will be different minimum velocity for every possible angle. Am I right? and how do we find the range of angles possible?

Wisal said:
well the problem, unfortunately, in front of me only gives this information. I think that there will be different minimum velocity for every possible angle. Am I right? and how do we find the range of angles possible?

I'm pretty sure it's not the problem you're supposed to be doing, but if you want a challenge.

First step is to express the trajectory as a (parabolic) function. Here's the formula. Try to derive this:

##y = xtan\theta - \frac{gx^2}{2v^2}sec^2\theta##

I have already done that:
I formulated two equations:
1. vCosθ * t = 20
as x =20
2. 3 = vSinθ(t) + g(t^2)/2
as y =3 and then substituting the value of 't' i.e. 20/vcosθ in the second equation

Okay, but remember g = -9.81 in your equations.

If you're trying to minimise v, then you need to maximise ##\theta## which is the same as maximising ##tan\theta##. Note that ##sec^2\theta = tan^2\theta + 1##

So, aim for a quadratic equation in ##tan\theta##.

Okay, that's what I have reached at:

is the answer 89.7 degrees?

And also could you tell me the intuitive reason why we took g as -9.81( I am sometimes confused by this). I do get why we took this value in this particular problem as we had to get a maximum value of tanθ hence we get a parabola with a maximum point.

And, am I right in thinking that there will be a different minimum velocity for every possible angle?

Wisal said:
Okay, that's what I have reached at:

is the answer 89.7 degrees?
That can't be correct.

y = xtanθ - (gx^2 secθ^2)/2 Comment: as we take g =- 9.81 so negative sign)
2y = 2xtanθ-gx^2secθ^2
2y = 2xtanθ-gx^2-gx^2(tanθ)^2
2y+gx^2=2xtanθ-gx^2(tanθ)^2
now plugging in the values: x = 20; y =3
2(3) +(9.81*400)=2(20)tanθ-(9.81*400)(tanθ)^2
now by substituting any variable say 'x' as tanθ
-3924x^2 + 40 x - 3930 = 0
Then differentiating it and putting that to zero and getting the value of x to be 196.2 and then using tanθ = 196.2 and then finding out the value of θ.

I might have led you astray! We need to maximise the quadratic function for a given v. And, if the maximum value is y, we have the minimum value for v. It's not maximising theta. We need to maximise:

##f(\theta) = xtan\theta - \frac{gx^2}{2v^2}(1 + tan^2\theta)##

I told you it was tricky!

But is not the 'y'(vertical displacement) always constant as the displacement will always be 3 no matter what? I mean the final displacement will be 3. Thanks for the help :D

Wisal said:
But is not the 'y'(vertical displacement) always constant as the displacement will always be 3 no matter what?

That's not the point. Suppose we fire the arrow at a velocity v. That function gives the height at x for a given ##\theta##. So, first we calculate the maximum height at x for a given v (for any ##\theta##).

If that maximum height happens to be y (=3 in this case), then we have found the minumum v. Think about it. If we could hit (x, y) with a lower velocity than v, then we could hit a higher point (x, something higher than y) at velocity v.

In other words, at the minimum v, we can only just hit the target. And no higher.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the initial velocity and time period of a projectile

1. What is the formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile?

The formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile is: v0 = v - gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s2), and t is the time the projectile has been in motion.

2. How do you determine the time period of a projectile?

The time period of a projectile can be determined by using the formula: T = 2v0/g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the initial and final heights of the projectile are the same.

3. Can the initial velocity and time period of a projectile be determined if only the horizontal distance and maximum height are given?

Yes, the initial velocity and time period of a projectile can be determined using the following equations: v0 = √(gH/2) and T = √(2H/g), where H is the maximum height and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Does air resistance affect the calculation of initial velocity and time period of a projectile?

Yes, air resistance can affect the calculation of initial velocity and time period of a projectile. This is because air resistance can slow down the projectile, changing its velocity and time of flight. However, for small objects and short distances, the effects of air resistance may be negligible and can be ignored in calculations.

5. How do you verify the calculated initial velocity and time period of a projectile experimentally?

To verify the calculated initial velocity and time period of a projectile experimentally, you can use a video analysis software to track the motion of the projectile and measure its velocity and time. You can also use a motion sensor to record the motion of the projectile and collect data, which can then be used to calculate the initial velocity and time period. Additionally, you can perform multiple trials and take the average of the calculated values to improve the accuracy of the results.