Finding the green's function for a second order linear DE and solve it

In summary, the conversation is about understanding and applying Green's functions to solve differential equations. The person has searched for information and read their course book multiple times, but is having trouble with the specific boundary conditions in their problem. They have attempted to approach the problem in different ways but have not been successful. However, they soon realize that the problem is actually strange because all Green's function problems have the same boundary conditions.
storluffarn

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to get a grip about those Green functions and how to aply them to solve differential equations. I've searched the forums and read the section on green's functions in my course book both once and twice, and I think I start to understand at least som of it. However, all the cases treated in the litterature and most problems I found on the forums had boundary conditions on the form y(a)=q, y(b)=q. In the problem bellow I do not have these kind of boundary conditions.

"Construct the Green's function and apply it to solve the differential equation

[itex]\frac{d^2 y(x)}{d x^2} -a^2 y(x) = e^{-t}[/itex]

subject to the boundary conditions y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

My question is this:

What do I do when the boundary conditions is in this form?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried to see the situation as if y was bounded in the interval 0 to infinity, but that didn't work out to good. I also tried to formulate the equaton as a self adjoint, but that to failed.

Cheeres,
David

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm, problem solved, thanks anyway!

Actually, that was a very strange question! All "Green's function" problems have those boundary conditions: y(0)= 0, y(L)= 0.

Related to Finding the green's function for a second order linear DE and solve it

1. What is a green's function for a second order linear differential equation?

A green's function for a second order linear differential equation is a function that represents the response of the system to a delta function input. It is a fundamental solution that can be used to solve any initial value problem for the given differential equation.

2. How can I find the green's function for a second order linear differential equation?

The green's function can be found by using the method of variation of parameters, which involves solving two auxiliary equations and then combining them to find the final solution.

3. Why do we need to find the green's function for a second order linear differential equation?

Finding the green's function allows us to solve any initial value problem for the given differential equation. It provides a general solution that can be used for a wide range of specific problems.

4. Can the green's function be used for other types of differential equations?

Yes, the concept of a green's function can be extended to solve initial value problems for higher order linear differential equations, as well as non-linear differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the green's function method for solving differential equations?

The green's function method is most effective for linear differential equations. It may become more complicated and less accurate when applied to non-linear equations. Additionally, it may not be effective for solving boundary value problems.