Finding the general solution of the given differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution for a nonhomogeneous differential equation, specifically y"+2y'+y=2e^-t. Different approaches were attempted, such as taking Y(t)=Ae^-t and Y(t)=Ate^-t, but it was noticed that the first part of the solution was already a solution for the homogeneous equation. It was suggested to try another form, such as Y(t)=f(t)e^-t, and eventually multiplying the function by t^2 yielded the desired result.
bigu01
y"+2y'+y=2e^-t
I tried to find the solution for this nonhomogenous diff. Equation but i could not. First i took a function Y(t)=Ae^-t but i was getting 0=2e^-t.
To get rid of that i took another y'+y=2e^-t and found the solution y=2te^-t + ce^-t. Noticed that first part of this finding is solution of my nonhomogenous diff equation so i took another function Y(t)=Ate^-t but then again i am finding the same answer, i need some tips on how to continue. The general solution for this equation as homogenous equation has repeated roots.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the characteristic equation has repeated roots,the answer is [itex]Ae^{qt}+Bte^{qt} [/itex].
For finding the particular solution,take [itex] y_p=f(t)e^{-t} [/itex] and try finding f(t).

Likes 1 person
bigu01 said:
... Noticed that first part of this finding is solution of my nonhomogenous diff equation so i took another function Y(t)=Ate^-t but then again i am finding the same answer...
The homogeneous differential equation is second order and so the general solution is composed of two linearly independent pieces. One of those pieces is precisely of the form Y(t) = Ate-t, so subbing this in as a particular solution is redundant. You have to look for another form.

Likes 1 person
I multiplied my function by t^2, since by multiplying only by t was not working, and it worked.

Related to Finding the general solution of the given differential equation

1. What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent and dependent variables. It contains a constant of integration, which allows for an infinite number of specific solutions to be derived from it.

2. How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you must integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable, using appropriate techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. This will result in a general form of the solution with an arbitrary constant.

3. Can a differential equation have more than one general solution?

No, a differential equation can only have one general solution. However, the general solution may contain a constant of integration that can take on different values, resulting in an infinite number of specific solutions.

4. What is the difference between a particular and a general solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies the given initial or boundary conditions. It is derived from the general solution by assigning specific values to the arbitrary constant(s). The general solution, on the other hand, contains all possible solutions to the differential equation.

5. Can a differential equation have no general solution?

Yes, it is possible for a differential equation to have no general solution. This can occur if the equation is not solvable using known methods, or if the solution involves functions that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In such cases, only specific solutions may be obtained by applying numerical or approximative methods.