Finding the friction before slipping

In summary: If you choose to solve the system of equation by eliminating N first then T you are left with an equation of form m f(μ) = 0, which can be divided by m.
Jack.525

Homework Statement

There is a string that is attached to a bar as shown below in the picture. What is the coefficient friction between the bar and floor before bar starts slipping.
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...t-of-friction-using-torque-and-forces.723351/[/B]
3ebcd17e8b532329dde12bc2534a4a32.png

Homework Equations

Moment which is
moment (torque) = F r (position)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have chosen a pivot point about the point where the bar contacts with the ground.

The equation for the torque about the point where bar contacts with the ground ->
- mg *1.4863 - T*1.814989 = 0
I found 1.814989 by using the cross product.

Then
Fx = 0
-Tsin21 - f(friction) = 0
-Tsin21 - u(coefficient of friction) *N = 0

Fy = 0
-mg + N + T*cos21 = 0

Now, I'm stuck and i don't how to proceed further. Also, I'm confused about this part ->
So the formula for friction is f = u*N, is N equals to mg ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack.525 said:
So the formula for friction is f = u*N, is N equals to mg ?
Not always, and not in this instance.
The normal force from a solid surface is the minimum magnitude force necessary to prevent the object penetrating the surface.

The signs look a bit odd in your equations, but I'm not sure what conventions you've adopted. It might all come out ok.

haruspex said:
Not always, and not in this instance.
The normal force from a solid surface is the minimum magnitude force necessary to prevent the object penetrating the surface.

The signs look a bit odd in your equations, but I'm not sure what conventions you've adopted. It might all come out ok.
So if normal force in this case is not equal to m*g, can i solve this problem with 5 unknowns?

Jack.525 said:
So if normal force in this case is not equal to m*g, can i solve this problem with 5 unknowns?
I assume you mean T, n, u, m and f (friction).
You have four equations.
It can happen that you have enough information to determine some unknowns but not all.
In the present case, T and m are the only unknowns which involve a mass dimension, so you can find the ratio of those but not their individual values. This leaves you with only four unknowns, effectively.

Jack.525 said:
You will find that m cancels.

ehild said:
You will find that m cancels.
Well, not exactly. See my post #4.

haruspex said:
Well, not exactly. See my post #4.
When the bar just starts to slip the friction is μN. The task is to find μ. It is not needed to know T or m. It is a homogeneous system of equations, the determinant should be zero, you get μ from this condition.

ehild said:
When the bar just starts to slip the friction is μN. The task is to find μ. It is not needed to know T or m. It is a homogeneous system of equations, the determinant should be zero, you get μ from this condition.
Sure, but Jack lists T and m as unknowns. So what will actually happen is that these will reduce to a single unknown T/m. That is not quite the same as saying m will cancel out.

haruspex said:
Sure, but Jack lists T and m as unknowns. So what will actually happen is that these will reduce to a single unknown T/m. That is not quite the same as saying m will cancel out.
It is also needed to use N/m an unknown instead of N. That is, we can choose m arbitrary,
If you choose to solve the system of equation by eliminating N first then T you are left with an equation of form m f(μ) = 0, which can be divided by m.

ehild said:
It is also needed to use N/m an unknown instead of N.
Yes, I missed that one.

Related to Finding the friction before slipping

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. Why is it important to find the friction before slipping?

Knowing the amount of friction between two surfaces is important because it helps us determine if an object will slip or not. It also allows us to calculate the amount of force needed to overcome friction and prevent slipping.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a friction force sensor or by using a spring scale. The force needed to keep an object moving at a constant speed is the measure of the friction force between the two surfaces.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by factors such as the roughness, weight, and material of the surfaces. Additionally, the type of motion (sliding or rolling) and the presence of lubricants can also affect friction.

5. How can we reduce friction to prevent slipping?

To reduce friction and prevent slipping, we can use lubricants such as oil or grease to create a barrier between the two surfaces. We can also use materials with smoother surfaces or add additional weight to increase the normal force, which can increase the friction force.