Finding the field strength of an EF

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the center of a square with four charges at each corner. The charges are +q at the upper left, -2q at the upper right, +2q at the bottom right, and -q at the bottom left. The square has a side length of 5.20 cm and the value of q is 11.8 nC. The equation given by the professor to find the electric field at an observation point is used, and the distances between the source charges and the observation point are determined to be a/\sqrt{2}. The resulting net electric fields are perpendicular to each other, and the final step is to find the resultant field at the center due to all four
Watsonb2

Homework Statement

A square, with charges at each corner. The upper left (1) has a charge of +q. The upper right (2) has a charge of -2q. The bottom right (3) has a charge of +2q. The bottom left (4) has a charge of -q. The square has side length a.

a = 5.20 cm and q = 11.8 nC

Find the EF at the center of the square.

Homework Equations

This was the equation that my prof gave us to deal with an observation point (in this case the center of the square) introduced into an Electric Field:

[tex]\vec{E}[/tex]([tex]\vec{r}[/tex] = [k (Q) ([tex]\vec{r}[/tex] - [tex]\vec{R}[/tex]] / [([tex]\vec{r}[/tex] - [tex]\vec{R}[/tex])^3]

Where r = the actual distance from the source charge to the observation point and R = the distance of the source charge from the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by determining the distances between the source charges and the observation point, which all were a/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], by pythagorean theorem.

I plugged this into the equation and got an answer of zero, which immediately flagged my attention, but I can't see why it came out that way. I then plugged the numbers into the equation for the second charge and got an answer of -1.57 x 10^14. This seemed very large, even though the charge of q is fairly large to begin with...

I left off there, maybe you guys could help me out and point out where I'm making my error...

Thanks,

-B

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric fields due to charges 1 and 3 are in the opposite direction. The net field is towards charge 1. Similarly net field due charges due to 2 and 4 is towards charge 4. These two net fields are perpendicular to each other. Now find the resultant field due to all the four charges at the center.

I would first like to commend the student for attempting to solve the problem and for reaching out for help when they encountered difficulties. It is important to seek assistance and clarification when faced with challenges in scientific problem-solving.

In this case, it seems that the student may have made a mistake in their calculations. The equation provided by the professor is correct, but it is important to plug in the correct values for each variable. In this case, the distance between the source charges and the observation point should be a/√2, as the student correctly noted. However, the value for R should be the distance from the origin to the source charge, which is simply a. This is because the equation is using vector notation, so the vector from the origin to the source charge is represented as (a, 0) and the vector from the origin to the observation point is represented as (a/√2, a/√2).

Using these values, the equation should give an electric field of -1.51 x 10^14 N/C at the center of the square. This may still seem like a large number, but it is important to remember that electric field strength is dependent on the distance from the source charge, as well as the magnitude of the charge. In this case, the charges are relatively close to the observation point, so the electric field strength will be relatively high.

In conclusion, it is important to double check calculations and make sure all variables are plugged in correctly when solving problems in physics. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the concepts and equations being used, which can be achieved through practice and seeking clarification when needed.

Related to Finding the field strength of an EF

1. How do you calculate the field strength of an electric field?

The field strength of an electric field, also known as electric field intensity, can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge itself. The formula for electric field strength is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

2. What units are used to measure the field strength of an electric field?

The units used to measure electric field strength are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). These units represent the force per unit charge or the potential difference per unit length, respectively.

3. How does the distance from a source charge affect the field strength of an electric field?

The field strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the field strength decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

4. Can the field strength of an electric field be negative?

Yes, the field strength of an electric field can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force on a positive test charge. The negative field strength indicates that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction to the force on the test charge.

5. How does the field strength of an electric field differ from the field strength of a magnetic field?

The field strength of an electric field is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m), while the field strength of a magnetic field is measured in teslas (T) or newtons per ampere-meter (N/Am). Additionally, electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges or changing electric fields.