Finding the Error in z for q = -0.6 \pm 10\% and z = 0.2

In summary, the equation q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2} can be rewritten as z = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1-2DH(q-1)}}{q-1}. However, this is not necessary to find the error in z. By differentiating both sides of the equation and substituting known values for z, DH, and q, the error in z can be calculated as 9 x 10^-4.
Kyrios

Homework Statement

For the equation [tex] q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2} [/tex] [itex] q = -0.6 \pm 10\% [/itex] , and z = 0.2.
D and H are known exactly.
I have to find the error in z that will give an answer of [itex] q = -0.6 \pm 10\% [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have considered rewriting the equation in terms of z, which gives
[tex] z = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1-2DH(q-1)}}{q-1} [/tex]
but I'm not sure where to go with that, how the plus/minus affects it, and what to do with D and H (if anything).

I've tried to do (error in q * 0.5) / (error in q) which gives an answer for z of [itex] 0.2 \pm 10\% [/itex] but that seems a bit too simple

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyrios said:

Homework Statement

For the equation [tex] q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2} [/tex] [itex] q = -0.6 \pm 10\% [/itex] , and z = 0.2.
D and H are known exactly.
I have to find the error in z that will give an answer of [itex] q = -0.6 \pm 10\% [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have considered rewriting the equation in terms of z, which gives
[tex] z = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1-2DH(q-1)}}{q-1} [/tex]
It is not needed. You know that z=0.2. From that, you can determine DH. You know also q and its error.
The error of z can be obtained by differentiating both sides of the equation
[tex]q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta q =\frac {dq}{dz}\Delta z[/tex] Substitute z, DH, and ##\Delta q##. Solve for ##\Delta z##.

ehild

so I get this:

[tex] DH = \frac{z(z+2) - z^2 q}{2} = 0.232 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dq}{dz} = \frac{4DH - 2z}{z^3} = 66 [/tex]
[tex] \Delta q = \frac{dq}{dz} \Delta z [/tex]
[tex] \Delta z = \frac{0.06}{66} = 9 \times 10^{-4} [/tex]

The error seems really small..?

It is almost right. You made some small mistake when calculating DH. Check.

The error is small, but z=0.2, so its relative error is about 0.5 %.

ehild

Related to Finding the Error in z for q = -0.6 \pm 10\% and z = 0.2

What is "Finding the error in z"?

"Finding the error in z" is a statistical method used to determine the margin of error for a given sample statistic. It helps to quantify the potential variability or uncertainty in the results of a study or experiment.

Why is it important to find the error in z?

Finding the error in z allows us to understand the accuracy of our results and make informed conclusions about the population being studied. It also helps to identify any potential flaws or biases in the sampling or data collection process.

How is the error in z calculated?

The error in z is calculated by taking the standard error (a measure of the variability of sample statistics) and multiplying it by the critical value of z (a value from the standard normal distribution based on the desired confidence level). This gives us the margin of error for the sample statistic.

What is a confidence level and how does it relate to the error in z?

A confidence level is the probability that the true population parameter falls within a certain range of values. It is typically expressed as a percentage, such as 95% or 99%. The error in z is directly related to the confidence level - a higher confidence level will result in a larger margin of error, and vice versa.

Can the error in z be reduced?

The error in z cannot be reduced once it has been calculated for a specific sample size and confidence level. However, it can be minimized by increasing the sample size, which will reduce the standard error and result in a smaller margin of error. It is important to note that the error in z is inherent in any sampling process and cannot be completely eliminated.