Finding the equivalent resistance PLEASE HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the equivalent resistance of a cube with resistance on every edge, without any given numbers. The conversation includes discussing the possibility of finding a Thevenin resistance and using symmetry to simplify the problem. It ends with the individual being determined to figure out the problem for extra credit.
BuBbLeS01
Finding the equivalent resistance...PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

So I have a cube and it has resistance on every edge and I need to find what is the equivalent resistance? No numbers are given just the cube itself.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How in the world do I go about solving this??

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, why would you make a three dimensional circuit diagram? That makes absolutely no sense. Second, I'm fairly certain this cannot be given an equivalent resistance. A square of resistors doesn't have an equivalent resistance, nor should its three dimensional equivalent. You could find a thevenin resistance, but since it is three dimensional then I don't know what you would consider what.

Since when do people think circuits should be vectors?

I suppose all the resistances along the edges are equal and the resistance between 2
opposite points on the cube is needed.

Using symmetry you can see that some of the corners have the same potential. You can connect these and it becomes an easy problem with parallel and series resistances

Thank you for your help! Well my teacher decided to give us this problem as extra credit worth 20 points which is huge! So I am determined to figure out! Thanks again!

I'm curious to see what your teacher says the answer is. Would you mind posting it when you know it?

Related to Finding the equivalent resistance PLEASE HELP

1. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance?

The equivalent resistance is calculated by adding all the individual resistances in a circuit together. If the resistances are in series, you simply add them together. If they are in parallel, you use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances.

2. What is the significance of finding the equivalent resistance?

Finding the equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand how the overall resistance of a circuit is affected by the individual resistances.

3. How does the equivalent resistance affect the current and voltage in a circuit?

The equivalent resistance affects the current and voltage in a circuit in the same way that a single resistor would. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout and the voltage is divided among the resistors. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all resistors, but the current is divided among them.

4. Can there be more than one equivalent resistance in a circuit?

No, there can only be one equivalent resistance in a circuit. This is because the equivalent resistance represents the combined effect of all the individual resistances in the circuit.

5. How does changing the value of one resistor affect the equivalent resistance?

Changing the value of one resistor will affect the equivalent resistance depending on how the resistor is connected in the circuit. If it is in series, the equivalent resistance will increase if the resistor value increases, and vice versa. If it is in parallel, the equivalent resistance will decrease if the resistor value increases, and vice versa.