Finding the Equivalent Resistance of a Circuit

In summary, the homework statement is asking for help to find the equivalent resistance between the connectors at the top of the circuit.
wiz0r

Homework Statement

I need to find the equivalent resistance of the following circuit that can be found in the attachment. Also, I need to find if the C, L and Req are in series or parallel.

Homework Equations

Rs = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn

Rp = (R1 * R2 * ... * Rn) / (R1 + R2 + ... + Rn)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, well, since there's no current passing through R1, R2, and R3, I assume that Req = R4. Therefore, the capacitance, inductance and the equivalent resistance are in Series.

Am I right? Or is there something wrong?

Any help will be gladly appreciated!

Attachments

• resis_equiv.JPG
    resis_equiv.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you supposed to find the equivalent resistance between the two connectors at the top?
Having one point of the circuit grounded doesn't really make sense.
is this a DC or an AC problem, where you have to find the equivalent impedance?

hello, kamerling.

the problem I'm trying to solve is a little more difficult than what it seems.

it is a AC problem, more specific it is a second order transient RLC circuit.

the original circuit can be found in the attachment of this post.

the first step to solve the problem is finding if R, L and C are either in Series or Paralel. That's what I'm doing.

I remove the voltage source by a short and the current source by an open circuit, then assume the switch will be opened at t>0, so there will be an open circuit where the switch was.

after doing that, i got the circuit that i posted on my first post. so, I'm trying to find if the Req, L, and C, are in series or parallel to be able to completely solve the problem.

EDIT: The ground isn't supposed to be there, I apologize. I edited the original circuit and left it there, sorry!

Attachments

• fullcircuit.JPG
    fullcircuit.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
I don't think that calculating an equivalent resistance is going to be much help. You can replace R3, R4, L1 and C1 with an equivalent complex impedance. L1 and R4 are in series, the resulting impedance is parallel with C1 and the result from that is in series with R3. you should be able to see that before you get to AC problems.
I rather wonder what the question is
A transient AC problem would normally involve kirchhofs loop rule and differential equations, using V = L(dI/dt) for the inductor and I = C(dV/dt) for the capacitor

Related to Finding the Equivalent Resistance of a Circuit

What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the effective resistance of a circuit composed of multiple resistors. It represents the total resistance that a single resistor would have if it was replacing the entire circuit.

Why is finding the equivalent resistance important?

Finding the equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand how the overall resistance of a circuit is affected by the individual resistors in it.

How is equivalent resistance calculated?

Equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, ... Rn are the individual resistances in the circuit. If the resistors are not in series, the calculation becomes more complex and may involve using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's rules.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected in a single path, so the current flows through each resistor in succession. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected in multiple paths, so the current divides and flows through each resistor simultaneously. This affects the equivalent resistance calculation and the overall behavior of the circuit.

How can I measure the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

You can use a multimeter to measure the total resistance of a circuit. By measuring the current and voltage in the circuit, you can also use Ohm's law (R = V/I) to calculate the equivalent resistance. Alternatively, you can use a breadboard and a known resistor to create a voltage divider circuit and calculate the equivalent resistance from the measured voltage values.