Finding the Electric Potential

In summary: But what about the charge ?2 mm is more like it. I'm pretty sure the charge is additive.THank you Mark44,for helping me to reach to the answer.You made me think,which i already knew,but you made me state it in a more understandable way.In summary, 8 drops of water each of radius 1 mm and having a charge of 10^(-10) Coulombs are combined to form a bigger drop. The potential of the bigger drop is 1800 volts.
Abel I Daniel

Homework Statement

8 Charged drops of water each of radius 1 mm and having a charge of 10^(-10) Coloumbs are combined to form a bigger drop.Determine the potential of the bigger drop.

Homework Equations

Does the radius becomes 4*10^(-3)m,when it combines?
Does the charge sum up to 9*10^(-10)?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Used the formula -V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
Got the ans as 1800 V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abel I Daniel said:

Homework Statement

8 Charged drops of water each of radius 1 mm and having a charge of 10^(-10) Coloumbs are combined to form a bigger drop.Determine the potential of the bigger drop.

Homework Equations

Does the radius becomes 4*10^(-3)m,when it combines?
I don't think so. It's probably easier to work with the mm units that were given.
What's the volume of one rain drop?
If you combine 8 rain drops into one bigger drop, what is the volume of this larger drop? What's its radius?
Abel I Daniel said:
Does the charge sum up to 9*10^(-10)?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Used the formula -V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
Got the ans as 1800 V.

Mark44 said:
I don't think so. It's probably easier to work with the mm units that were given.
What's the volume of one rain drop?
If you combine 8 rain drops into one bigger drop, what is the volume of this larger drop? What's its radius?

I assume the volume to be (4/3)*(pi)*r^3,where r is 1 mm.
But what potential has to do with Volume.i am quit weak in this subject

Abel I Daniel said:
I assume the volume to be (4/3)*(pi)*r^3,where r is 1 mm.
Or more simply, 4/3 ##\pi##, the volume of one rain drop,
Abel I Daniel said:
But what potential has to do with Volume.i am quit weak in this subject
From the formula you wrote in post #1, the potential V is a function of the radius r.
-V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
If 8 rain drops combine into one larger drop, what's the volume of the larger rain drop? What's the radius of the larger rain drop?

Mark44 said:
If 8 rain drops combine into one larger drop, what's the volume of the larger rain drop? What's the radius of the larger rain drop?
i hope it adds up linearliy,that means ,radius of larger frop =8* 1mm (radius of each smaller drop)

Abel I Daniel said:
i hope it adds up linearliy,that means ,radius of larger frop =8* 1mm (radius of each smaller drop)
No, it doesn't.
The volumes add like you think they would, but the radius of the combined raindrop is NOT 8mm.

Mark44 said:
The volumes add like you think they would, but the radius of the combined raindrop is NOT 8mm.
the bigger radius becomes twice the smaller radius ie 2 mm.But what about the charge ?

2 mm is more like it. I'm pretty sure the charge is additive.

THank you Mark44,for helping me to reach to the answer.You made me think,which i already knew

Related to Finding the Electric Potential

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charge at a certain point, while electric field is a measure of the force that a charge would experience at that point. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point at which the electric potential is being calculated.

4. How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential can be measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field. The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V).

5. What factors affect the electric potential at a point?

The electric potential at a point is affected by the amount of charge present, the distance from the charge, and the medium in which the charge is located. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding area, as well as any external electric fields.