Finding the Electric Field given the potential in spherical

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field (E) using the equation E = -∇φ, where ∇ is the gradient operator and φ is the potential. The problem involves finding the derivative of the potential, which is causing confusion. The suggestion is to stay in Cartesian coordinates and use the results of the derivatives of r and x_i. The final solution is E = (p*er)/2πε0r3er.
John004

Homework Statement

The problem statement is in the attachment

Homework Equations

E[/B] = -φ

= (∂φ/∂r)er

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about how to do the derivative apparently because the way I do it gives

E = - (∂[p*r/4πε0r3]/∂r)er = 3*(p*r)/4πε0r4er

Attachments

• Methods HW.png
    Methods HW.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] is not a constant.

I would suggest staying in Cartesian coordinates so that [tex]
\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x_i} = \frac1{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_j p_j \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left(\frac{x_j}{r^3}\right)[/tex] and using the results [tex]
\frac{\partial r}{\partial x_i} = \frac{x_i}{r}[/tex] and [tex]
\frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_i} = \begin{cases} 1, & i = j, \\ 0, & i \neq j.\end{cases}[/tex]

Last edited:
pasmith said:
[itex]\mathbf{r} = r\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex] is not a constant...
well if I plugged that in for r, wouldn't I just get

E = - (∂[p*rer/4πε0r3]/∂r)er = (p*er)/2πε0r3er ?
I haven't done vector calculus in a long time, idk if I am forgetting something obvious or what

Related to Finding the Electric Field given the potential in spherical

1. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field in spherical coordinates?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. In spherical coordinates, this relationship can be expressed as:
E = -∇V = -(∂V/∂r)er -(1/r)(∂V/∂θ)eθ -(1/rsinθ)(∂V/∂φ)eφ
where er, eθ, and eφ are unit vectors in the radial, polar, and azimuthal directions, respectively.

2. How do you calculate the electric field from a given potential in spherical coordinates?

To calculate the electric field in spherical coordinates, you can use the equation:
E = -(1/r)(∂V/∂θ)eθ -(1/rsinθ)(∂V/∂φ)eφ
where r, θ, and φ are the spherical coordinates and ∂V/∂θ and ∂V/∂φ are the partial derivatives of the potential with respect to θ and φ, respectively.

3. Can you use the same equation to find the electric field at any point in space?

Yes, the equation for the electric field in spherical coordinates can be used to find the electric field at any point in space. However, you must first determine the appropriate values for r, θ, and φ at that particular point.

4. What are the units of the electric field in spherical coordinates?

The units of the electric field in spherical coordinates are volts per meter (V/m).

5. Is there a simpler way to find the electric field from a given potential in spherical coordinates?

If the potential is given in terms of a potential function, such as V(r) or V(θ), then you can use the simpler equations:
E = -(∂V/∂r)er
or
E = -(1/r)(∂V/∂θ)eθ
respectively. However, if the potential is given in terms of V(r,θ,φ), then the full equation for the electric field must be used.