Finding the Domain of the Bessel Function Series

In summary, the conversation is about finding the domain of a series involving exponentials and factorials. The attempt at a solution involved setting up the equation and simplifying it using the law of exponents and factoring. However, there seemed to be some confusion and mistakes in the process. The conversation ends with the suggestion to cancel common factors in the numerator and denominator.
Stratosphere

Homework Statement

Find domain of [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{2^{2n}(n!)^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set it all up but I can't really seem to simplify it.

[tex]\frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{2(n+1)}}{2^{2n+2}(n+1)!^{2}}\bullet\frac{2^{2n}(n!)^{2}}{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you simplify it? What's 2^(2n)/(2^(2n+2))? What's n!/(n+1)!?

You mean polynomial division?

Stratosphere said:
You mean polynomial division?

No, I mean the law of exponents for the first one and realizing (n)!/(n+1)!=(1*2*3*...*n)/(1*2*3*...*n*(n+1)) for the second one.

Explain what the mean by showing me on this much simpler one.

[tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty n!x^{n}[/tex]

Setting it up I get [tex]\frac{(1+n!)x^{n+1}}{n!x^{n}}[/tex]

Do I cross out the factors?

You meant to write (1+n)!, I hope, not (1+n!). Yes, you just cancel the common factors in the numerator and denominator. What do you get?

So, I got x+1 but I must have messed something up.

Stratosphere said:
So, I got x+1 but I must have messed something up.

Apparently, but not showing how you got that doesn't make it easy to help. What are x^(n+1)/x^n and (n+1)!/n!?

Related to Finding the Domain of the Bessel Function Series

1. What is the domain of the Bessel Function?

The domain of the Bessel Function is all real numbers, including positive, negative, and zero values.

2. Can the Bessel Function be defined for complex numbers?

Yes, the Bessel Function can be defined for complex numbers. However, it is important to note that the domain in this case is limited to a specific region in the complex plane.

3. What is the purpose of the Bessel Function in mathematics?

The Bessel Function is used to solve differential equations in various fields of physics and engineering, especially in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry.

4. Is the Bessel Function continuous?

Yes, the Bessel Function is continuous for all real numbers, including negative and zero values. However, it may have discontinuities for complex numbers outside of its defined domain.

5. Can the Bessel Function take on negative values?

Yes, the Bessel Function can take on negative values for certain inputs. This is because it is a special type of mathematical function known as an oscillatory function, which can produce both positive and negative values depending on the input.