Finding The Divergence Of A Vector Field

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the divergence of a given vector field using the formula ∇ dot F and comparing the result to Wolfram Alpha's answer. The difference in the last term was due to a missing differentiation in the first term. After including it, the answer agreed with Wolfram Alpha's.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

Find The Divergence Of The Vector Field:
< ex2 -2xy, sin(y^2), 3yz-2x>

Homework Equations

I know that divergence is ∇ dot F.

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did it by hand I got
2xex2 + 2ycos(y2) + 3y

However wolfram alpha says it should be

2xex2 + 2ycos(y^2) + y

The difference is the last y. So who is right? This is for a divergence theorem problem, but I do not have an answer key.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you worked out the first term, you forgot to differentiate the -2xy.
If you include this, your answer will agree with Wolfram.

Hi Baumer8993! :smile:

- 2xy ? :wink:

Oh wow, thank you for the help!

Related to Finding The Divergence Of A Vector Field

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of vectors in a given space. It assigns a vector to every point in the space, representing the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point.

What is divergence of a vector field?

Divergence of a vector field is a measure of how much the vectors in the field are spreading out or converging at a given point. It is a scalar value that represents the net flow of a vector field out of or into a point in space.

How is the divergence of a vector field calculated?

The divergence of a vector field can be calculated using a mathematical formula that involves taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator.

What does a positive or negative divergence value indicate?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vectors in the field are spreading out or diverging at a given point. A negative divergence value indicates that the vectors are converging at a given point.

What are some real-life applications of finding the divergence of a vector field?

Finding the divergence of a vector field is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and weather forecasting. It can help analyze the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the movement of air masses in the atmosphere.