Finding the Derivative of y=xe-kx using the Chain Rule

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of y=xe^-kx using the chain rule. The attempt at a solution involves using the product rule before the chain rule, which leads to the correct answer. However, there was initially a subtle error in the calculation, but it was later corrected. The conversation also mentions another question on a different topic for the expert to take a look at.
physics604

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y=xe-kx

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

y = xeu

[itex]\frac{dy}{du}[/itex] = xeu+eu

u = -kx

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = -k

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = (xe-kx+e-kx)(-k)

= e-kx(x+1)(-k)

= e-kx(-kx-k)

The answer is e-kx(-kx+1). What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
physics604 said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y=xe-kx

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

y = xeu

[itex]\frac{dy}{du}[/itex] = xeu+eu

There is a subtle error here. The problem is that if ##u=-kx## then ##x=-\frac u k## and you have to include ##\frac{dx}{du} = -\frac 1 k## in your second term. But it's best to avoid this error completely by noting that you have a product and should use the product rule before the chain rule. Try$$
\frac d {dx} xe^u = e^u\frac d {dx} x + x \frac d {dx}e^u$$ and use your method on that last term.

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry, but I don't get what you mean.

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] xeu = eu[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]x+x[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]eu

is still equal to eu + xeu.

Okay, I get it. Thanks!

LCKurtz said:
But it's best to avoid this error completely by noting that you have a product and should use the product rule before the chain rule. Try$$
\frac d {dx} xe^u = e^u\frac d {dx} x + x \frac d {dx}e^u$$ and use your method on that last term.

physics604 said:
I'm sorry, but I don't get what you mean.

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] xeu = eu[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]x+x[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]eu

is still equal to eu + xeu.

No it isn't. By your own steps in your original post you showed$$
\frac d {dx} e^u = -ke^{-kx}$$and if you put that in you get the correct answer.

I get it now. Thanks!

Related to Finding the Derivative of y=xe-kx using the Chain Rule

1. What is the chain rule in derivatives?

The chain rule is a technique used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions. It allows us to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. How do you use the chain rule to find derivatives?

To use the chain rule, you first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you find the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This can be written as (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x))*g'(x).

3. Can the chain rule be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any number of functions in a composite function. You just need to continue taking derivatives of the outer and inner functions and multiplying them together.

4. When should the chain rule be used?

The chain rule should be used whenever you have a composite function and need to find its derivative. It is especially useful in cases where the composite function is too complex to find the derivative using other methods.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function or taking the derivative of the outer function instead of the inner one. It is also important to carefully follow the order of operations when differentiating each function.