Finding the Derivative of a Logarithmic Function with a Variable Exponent

In summary, the function xy^{2} + x lnx = 4y has a derivative of dy/dx = \frac{-y^{2} - lnx - 1}{ 2yx - 4}. The fourth term in the original answer should be eliminated to result in the correct derivative.
lamerali
Another problem I'm not sure of :(

find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] for the function xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x lnx = 4y

my answer

y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x2y [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] + lnx + x (1/x) [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 4[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

x2y [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - 4[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = -y [tex]^{2}[/tex] - lnx

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] ( x2y - 3) = -y[tex]^{2}[/tex] - lnx

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-y ^{2} - lnx}{x2y - 3}[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is the correct answer again any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
lamerali said:
Another problem I'm not sure of :(

find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] for the function xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x lnx = 4y

my answer

y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x2y [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] + lnx + x (1/x) [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 4[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Why does the fourth term here have a dy/dx in it? The derivative of xln(x) wrt x is ln(x)+x(1/x)

so should the dy/dx be eliminated from the ln(x) + x(1/x) completely? leaving the resulting derivative equal to

dy/dx = [tex]\frac{-y^{2} - lnx - 1}{ 2yx - 4}[/tex]

Yeah that looks correct.

Thank you :D

Related to Finding the Derivative of a Logarithmic Function with a Variable Exponent

1. What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that contains both exponential and logarithmic terms. It involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of an equation, then using properties of logarithms to simplify the expression and find the derivative.

2. When is logarithmic differentiation used?

Logarithmic differentiation is typically used when the function to be differentiated is in the form of y = f(x)^g(x), where f(x) is an exponential function and g(x) is a logarithmic function.

3. What are the steps for using logarithmic differentiation?

The steps for using logarithmic differentiation are:1. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation.2. Use properties of logarithms to simplify the expression.3. Differentiate both sides of the equation using the power rule.4. Solve for the derivative of the original function.

4. Can logarithmic differentiation be used on any function?

No, logarithmic differentiation can only be used on functions that are in the form of y = f(x)^g(x), where f(x) is an exponential function and g(x) is a logarithmic function. It cannot be used on other types of functions.

5. What are the advantages of using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation can often simplify complicated functions and make them easier to differentiate. It can also be useful when taking the derivative of a function that contains both exponential and logarithmic terms, as it combines the properties of both functions. Additionally, it can be used to find the derivative of functions that cannot be easily differentiated using other methods.