Finding the Current for a Plasma Creation in Helium

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in determining the specifications for creating a plasma in a Helium chamber. They have consulted Paschen curves and determined a need for a power supply with a voltage of 200V. They intend to use continuous DC, but are unsure how to calculate the required current. Another person suggests using a microwave and noble gas to create plasma, but warns of potential danger. They also provide a paper as a resource for more information.
Smithy16
Hi all.

I am currently trying to determine the specifications of equipment I need to create a plasma. I am looking to generate a plasma in chamber of Helium at a pressure of about 0.6 Torr. My electrodes are around 17cm apart (giving me a pd of 10 Torr cm). By consulting Paschen curves, I see I need a power supply capable of producing a voltage of 200V. I intend to use continuous DC - not pulsed DC.

However, I cannot seem to be able to find a means of calculating the current which needs to be delivered. Can anyone suggest a means of finding this out?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Smithy

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to figure out what current you need.

However, I can tell you with experience how to create plasma cheaply.
If you pump a noble gas into a microwave, you can create as much plasma as you want.
This can be rather dangerous though.

Here's a paper on the topic if you want more information. http://pe.org.pl/articles/2012/8/12.pdf

Related to Finding the Current for a Plasma Creation in Helium

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is a state of matter that occurs when a gas is heated to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to break apart and form a cloud of positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons.

2. Why is helium used for creating plasma?

Helium is used because it has a low ionization energy, meaning it takes less energy to strip an electron from an atom. This makes it easier to create and maintain a plasma state.

3. How is the current for plasma creation in helium measured?

The current for plasma creation in helium is measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current. It is connected in series with the power supply and the plasma chamber.

4. What factors affect the current needed for plasma creation in helium?

The current needed for plasma creation in helium is affected by the gas pressure, temperature, and power supply voltage. Higher pressures and temperatures require more current, while a higher voltage can decrease the current needed.

5. How is the current for plasma creation in helium controlled?

The current for plasma creation in helium can be controlled by adjusting the power supply voltage and the gas pressure. The gas pressure can be controlled using a regulator, and the voltage can be adjusted using a variable power supply.