Finding the circumference of the loop in parametrics

In summary, the conversation is about finding the circumference of a curve given by 9x^2 = 4y^3 from (0,0) to (2/3,1). The solution involves using the length of curve formula, with x=9t/4 and y=(9t^(2/3))/4 as the parametric equations. It is also mentioned that the curve is not a loop, and the final answer should be approximately 2.38223.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

find the cumference of the loop 9x^2=4y^3 from (0,0) to (2/3, 1)

Homework Equations

length of curve square root (1+(dx/dy)^2)dy or square root ((dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

i said x=9t/4 and y= (9t^(2/3))/4

then i found that 0≤t≤8/27

so after finding dy/dt and dx/dt i pluged that into that lengh of curve formula
the answer should be (4(square root 3))/3

But i m not getting the answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
hangainlover said:

Homework Statement

find the cumference of the loop 9x^2=4y^3 from (0,0) to (2/3, 1)
It's a curve, but not a loop. A loop closes back on itself.
hangainlover said:

Homework Equations

length of curve square root (1+(dx/dy)^2)dy or square root ((dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

i said x=9t/4 and y= (9t^(2/3))/4
I found it easier to solve for x as a function of y, and then use the first formula you have above. From your given equation, x = +/-(2/3)y3/2. Since you want the arclength between (0,0) and (2/3, 1), x will be >= 0, so the equation simplifies to x = +(2/3)y3/2. The resulting integral can be done with an ordinary substitution.
hangainlover said:
then i found that 0≤t≤8/27

so after finding dy/dt and dx/dt i pluged that into that lengh of curve formula
the answer should be (4(square root 3))/3

But i m not getting the answer...
Are you sure that's the right answer? I get (2/3)(2sqrt(2) - 1)

Related to Finding the circumference of the loop in parametrics

What is the definition of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are often used to describe the motion of a point or curve in a coordinate system.

Why is finding the circumference of a loop in parametric equations important?

Finding the circumference of a loop in parametric equations allows us to calculate the distance traveled by a point or curve as it moves along its path. This can be useful in various applications, such as determining the length of a rollercoaster track or the distance traveled by a planet in its orbit.

What is the formula for finding the circumference of a loop in parametric equations?

The formula for finding the circumference of a loop in parametric equations is C = ∫√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2)dt, where x'(t) and y'(t) are the derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter t.

Can you explain the concept of arc length in parametric equations?

Arc length in parametric equations refers to the length of a curve or path traced out by a point or curve as it moves along its path. It can be calculated by integrating the speed of the point or curve along its path with respect to the parameter t.

What are some real-world applications of finding the circumference of a loop in parametric equations?

Finding the circumference of a loop in parametric equations has various real-world applications, including calculating the length of a rollercoaster track, determining the distance traveled by a planet in its orbit, and estimating the distance traveled by a car on a curved road.