Finding the Centre of Mass Speed for a High and Low Energy Photon Collision

In summary, at a threshold energy of 261 GeV, a high-energy photon colliding with a low energy photon can produce an electron-positron pair. The speed of the centre of mass at this threshold energy can be found using the equation E=γmc2, but this returns a speed of c, which may not be an acceptable solution. More information or clarification may be needed to fully solve this problem.
albega

Homework Statement

High energy photon of energy E collides with a low energy photon of energy 1eV. It forms an electron-positron pair. I have found the threshold energy as E=261GeV.

I am asked to find the speed of the centre of mass at this threshold energy.

Homework Equations

E=γmc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use conservation of energy to get the energy of the electron (or positron) say then use the above formula to find v from γ. I believe this then should be the CM speed. However it returns c. I don't believe that this is an acceptable solution (I don't have the answers though). Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
albega said:

Homework Statement

High energy photon of energy E collides with a low energy photon of energy 1eV. It forms an electron-positron pair. I have found the threshold energy as E=261GeV.

I am asked to find the speed of the centre of mass at this threshold energy.

Homework Equations

E=γmc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use conservation of energy to get the energy of the electron (or positron) say then use the above formula to find v from γ. I believe this then should be the CM speed. However it returns c. I don't believe that this is an acceptable solution (I don't have the answers though). Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

I realize it may be a bit vague. Just in case, the full question is

A high-energy photon γ1 of energy E traveling through space interacts with an
infra-red photon γ2 of energy 1 eV to produce an electron-positron pair via the reaction
γ12→e-+e+
By considering the total energy and the total momentum show that the threshold value of E required for this process is 261 GeV.

What is the velocity of the centre of mass at this threshold?

I have the 261GeV, but can only get speed c for the second bit (as outlined in my original post).

Related to Finding the Centre of Mass Speed for a High and Low Energy Photon Collision

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects behave at high speeds near the speed of light. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant regardless of the observer's motion.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends this to include non-inertial reference frames and the effects of gravity. Special relativity also does not take into account the curvature of spacetime, which is a fundamental aspect of general relativity.

3. How does special relativity affect time and space?

Special relativity predicts that time and space are relative concepts, meaning that they can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative motion. This includes the dilation of time and contraction of space at high speeds, as well as the concept of spacetime intervals being the same for all observers.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to everyday situations, especially in the fields of technology and communication. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) relies on special relativity to accurately calculate the position of objects on Earth's surface.

5. Are there any experiments that have proven special relativity?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have confirmed the predictions of special relativity. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which demonstrated that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion. Other experiments include the time dilation of atomic clocks and the observation of the famous E=mc² equation in nuclear reactions.