Finding the Center of Mass of a Suspended Scaffold and Paint Cans System

In summary, a horizontal scaffold with a length of 2.00 m and a uniform mass of 50.0 kg is suspended from a building by two cables. There are paint cans stacked on the scaffold with a total mass of 80.0 kg. The tension in the right cable is 830 N. To find the center of mass of the paint cans, a torque equation is used with the rotational axis set at the left side. The resulting linear equation can be solved to determine the distance from the left side to the center of mass of the paint cans.
bravoman

Homework Statement

A horizontal scaffold, of length 2.00 m and uniform mass 50.0 kg, is suspended from a building by two cables. The scaffold has dozens of paint cans stacked on it at various points. The total mass of the paint cans is 80.0 kg. The tension in the cable at the right is 830 N. How far horizontally from that cable is the center of mass of the system of paint cans?

12-32.gif

I can't seem to get the right answer, I believe I may be missing a force. I set the rotational axis to the left side

Homework Equations

Sigma F = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to create a balance of torque equation:

(L/2)* MassScaffold * g + x*MassPaint*g - 830L = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bravo, welcome to PF :)

Your relevant equation doesn't show up in your attempt at solution. What's the tension in the cable at the left ? When you know that, it's a piece of cake to establish where mg should be located (i.e. where the c.o.m. is) ! Then you still have to go to the c.o.m. of the paint cans only .

BvU said:
Your relevant equation doesn't show up in your attempt at solution.
I don't think you need it with the approach bravoman used. The attempt gives a linear equation which can be solved for x as everything else is known.

mfb is right and Bravo should continue on the path he (she?) started on. o:)

This should work. You didn't forget that x is the the distance from the left side, while the distance from the right side is needed for the answer?

Related to Finding the Center of Mass of a Suspended Scaffold and Paint Cans System

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and does not have any acceleration. This means that all forces acting on the object are balanced and the object is not moving.

2. How is torque related to static equilibrium?

Torque is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis. In static equilibrium, the sum of all the torques acting on an object is equal to zero. This ensures that the object remains at rest and does not rotate.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is when an object is at rest and does not have any acceleration, while dynamic equilibrium is when an object is moving at a constant velocity. In dynamic equilibrium, the net force and net torque on the object are both equal to zero.

4. How is the center of mass related to static equilibrium?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In static equilibrium, the center of mass remains at a fixed position and does not change. This is because the net force acting on the object is zero and there is no acceleration.

5. How can you calculate the torque on an object?

To calculate the torque on an object, you need to multiply the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the equation τ = F x d, where τ is torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is measured in units of newton-meters (Nm).