Finding the Center and Radius of Circles for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center and radius of two different circles represented by two equations, and the importance of showing effort before asking for help. The equations given are actually equations of power transmission and power reception circle diagrams. The expert then explains how to graph equations in the form "z= Ae^{j\theta}" and "z= B+ A{j\theta}" to find the center and radius. The conversation ends with a clarification on the values of P_S and Q_S in the equations.
MissP.25_5
Hi,
how do I find the center and radius from these equations? The 2 equations represent 2 different circles, by the way. I need to draw 2 circles.

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? Those equations don't mean a thing to me, but you DO have to show some effort on your own before (or in addition to) asking for help.

phinds said:
What have you tried so far? Those equations don't mean a thing to me, but you DO have to show some effort on your own before (or in addition to) asking for help.

The equations are actually equations of power transmission and power reception circle diagram.
I am sorry for not having an attempt but I am stuck here.

I presume that the "[itex]P_S+ jQ_S[/itex]" and "[itex]P_R+ jQ_R[/itex]" on the left of those two equations are the complex variable "z" that is to be graphed.

An equation of the form "[itex]z= Ae^{j\theta}[/itex]", with A a real number and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], is a circle with center at 0 and radius A. An equation of the form "itex]z= B+ A{j\theta}" is a circle with center at the complex number B and radius A.

Of course, as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]\theta- \pi/2[/itex] goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] but the graph still covers the circle, just "starting" at a different point. The first circle has center at the point [itex]j(0.81)E_R^2/X[/itex] in the complex plane, which is [itex](0, 0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex], and radius [itex]0.9E_R^2/X[/itex]. The second has center at [itex](0, -0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex] and the same radius.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
I presume that the "[itex]P_S+ jQ_S[/itex]" and "[itex]P_R+ jQ_R[/itex]" on the left of those two equations are the complex variable "z" that is to be graphed.

An equation of the form "[itex]z= Ae^{j\theta}[/itex]", with A a real number and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], is a circle with center at 0 and radius A. An equation of the form "itex]z= B+ A{j\theta}" is a circle with center at the complex number B and radius A.

Of course, as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]\theta- \pi/2[/itex] goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] but the graph still covers the circle, just "starting" at a different point. The first circle has center at the point [itex]j(0.81)E_R^2/X[/itex] in the complex plane, which is [itex](0, 0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex], and radius [itex]0.9E_R^2/X[/itex]. The second has center at [itex](0, -0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex] and the same radius.

How do you get [itex](0, -0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex] for the second circle? Shouldn't it be ##(0,-E_R^2/X)##? I forgot to mention that ##P_S##+##jQ_S## are indeed a complex number in the form Z= X+iY because P is the real power while Q is the reactive power.

Last edited:
MissP.25_5 said:
Hi,
how do I find the center and radius from these equations? The 2 equations represent 2 different circles, by the way. I need to draw 2 circles.

You know that you *must* show your work in your posts of schoolwork questions here. Check your PMs.

Thread is closed. MissP.25_5 is on a temporary vacation from the PF.

Related to Finding the Center and Radius of Circles for Scientists

1. What is the formula for finding the center and radius of a circle?

The formula for finding the center and radius of a circle is (h, k) for the center and r for the radius. This can also be written as (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2.

2. How do you find the center and radius of a circle given the equation?

To find the center and radius of a circle given the equation, you need to rearrange the equation into the standard form (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2. Once in this form, the values of h and k will be the coordinates of the center, and the square root of r^2 will give you the radius.

3. Can you find the center and radius of a circle if you only have three points on the circle?

Yes, you can find the center and radius of a circle if you only have three points on the circle. This can be done by using the formula (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2 and plugging in the coordinates of the three points to create a system of equations. Solving for h and k will give you the center, and solving for r will give you the radius.

4. Is it possible for a circle to have a negative radius?

No, it is not possible for a circle to have a negative radius. The radius of a circle represents the distance from the center to any point on the circle, and distance cannot be negative. If you encounter a negative value while finding the radius, it may indicate an error in your calculations.

5. How does finding the center and radius of a circle relate to graphing?

Finding the center and radius of a circle is essential for graphing a circle. The center gives you the coordinates of the center point, and the radius tells you how far the circle extends from the center. By plotting the center point and using the radius to create a circle, you can accurately graph the circle.