Finding the Best Solar Pump and Panel for 1 HP Pump

In summary: Noonday solar power is a good option for a 1 hp pump, but you would need a solar field to power it. Solar concentrator technology may be a good option for pumping water without using solar cells.
jack001
hello PFs,

I am working on solar pump but unfortunately i am new to this. Confused which solar panel is best to buy for 1 HP pump. And even what type of pump to use. Want to make it as efficient and cheap as possible.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A 1HP pump is pretty substantial.
You would need about 2000 watts steady state and about triple that for the starting surge. Noonday solar power is about 1000 watts/square meter and cell efficiency is about 10%, so you would need 60 square meters of solar cells, almost a solar field, to power your pump.
Afaik, the cost of solar cells is about a dollar a watt, maybe twice that installed.
So your installation pencils out around $10,000+/-. Is that cheap enough to be worth it?

thank you for your interest in the matter etudiant,

I am from India and i guess noonday solar power will be more..
One more thing i am confused, u said the cell efficiency is 10% only, what does that mean? I heard solar cell is most efficient way of converting into electricity.

and how do this people pumps water via using such a small solar cell?
http://www.solarpumps.com/files/QuickSiteImages/redcows_and_unit_pic_cropped.jpg

sorry if i am wrong anywhere coz i am new to this solar pumping thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1000 watt/sq m is with the sun directly overhead, even in India.
The solar cell efficiency has been boosted to well over 50% in the lab, but commercially available product is nowhere near that. The 10% assumed is a good place to start from, it may be a bit more, but not enough to matter.
The solar pump setups you show are much smaller than the 1hp design the OP requested.

do you know any other way of pumping through solar without using solar cell? will solar concentrator work?

Related to Finding the Best Solar Pump and Panel for 1 HP Pump

1. What is the difference between a solar pump and panel for a 1 HP pump?

A solar pump is a system that uses energy from the sun to power a pump, while a solar panel is a device that collects and converts solar energy into electricity. The 1 HP pump refers to the horsepower rating of the pump, which determines its power and flow rate.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size for a solar pump and panel for my 1 HP pump?

The size of the solar pump and panel needed for a 1 HP pump depends on various factors such as the water demand, head height (vertical distance between the water source and pump), and the daily sunlight availability. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

3. Can I use a solar pump and panel for a 1 HP pump in any location?

Yes, solar pumps and panels can be used in any location as long as there is enough sunlight to power the system. However, it is important to consider the climate, weather patterns, and shading in the location to ensure optimal performance.

4. Are there any maintenance requirements for a solar pump and panel for a 1 HP pump?

Like any other equipment, solar pumps and panels require regular maintenance to ensure they continue to function efficiently. This may include cleaning debris, checking connections, and replacing any worn-out parts. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's maintenance guidelines for best results.

5. How long does a solar pump and panel for a 1 HP pump typically last?

The lifespan of a solar pump and panel for a 1 HP pump can vary depending on the quality of the equipment, maintenance practices, and external factors like weather conditions. On average, a well-maintained solar pump and panel can last for 20-25 years.