Finding the area/volume for a transformed parallelogram/parallelepiped?

• Thread starter richashah
  • Start date
In summary: For (b) For the volume, you need the volume of the parallelepiped and the determinant of the transformation. You seem to have the right idea, but you need to show your work and clarify what vectors you used.
richashah

Homework Statement

for the following, find (a) the image of the indicated set under the given linear transformation and (b) the area or volume of the image

question 1: P is the paralellogram in R^2 with corner (0,0) spanned by (1,-1) and (4,7);
It undergoes the transformation T(x) = (3x + 4y, 4x + 5y)

question 2: P is the parallelepiped with corner (1,1,1) spanned by (1,1,2), (1,2,1), and (2,1,1). T(x) = (3y, -4x, 5z)

Homework Equations

I know the area of a parallelogram = ||a x b|| (cross product between vectors a and b)
The volume of a parallelepipid = ||a x b|| . c (cross product of vectors a & b. Then the dot product is used between that answer and vector c to obtain volume)

The area of a transformed parallelogram = |det(transformation matrix)|*(area of parallelogram)
The volume of a transformed parallelepiped = |det(transformation matrix)|*(volume of parallelepipid)

The Attempt at a Solution

for question 1, I have the transformation points as (0,0) (-1,-1) and (-16,-19). For the area, I took the cross product of vectors a and b (vector a = (-1,-1) vector b = (-16,-19)) and got 3. I got the determinant equals 1. So i got the area to be 3, but the answer key says it is 11.

For question 2, I'm just completely confused to be quite honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
richashah said:

Homework Statement

for the following, find (a) the image of the indicated set under the given linear transformation and (b) the area or volume of the image

question 1: P is the paralellogram in R^2 with corner (0,0) spanned by (1,-1) and (4,7);
It undergoes the transformation T(x) = (3x + 4y, 4x + 5y)

question 2: P is the parallelepiped with corner (1,1,1) spanned by (1,1,2), (1,2,1), and (2,1,1). T(x) = (3y, -4x, 5z)

Homework Equations

I know the area of a parallelogram = ||a x b|| (cross product between vectors a and b)
The volume of a parallelepipid = ||a x b|| . c (cross product of vectors a & b. Then the dot product is used between that answer and vector c to obtain volume)

The area of a transformed parallelogram = |det(transformation matrix)|*(area of parallelogram)
The volume of a transformed parallelepiped = |det(transformation matrix)|*(volume of parallelepipid)

The Attempt at a Solution

for question 1, I have the transformation points as (0,0) (-1,-1) and (-16,-19). For the area, I took the cross product of vectors a and b (vector a = (-1,-1) vector b = (-16,-19)) and got 3. I got the determinant equals 1. So i got the area to be 3, but the answer key says it is 11.

For question 2, I'm just completely confused to be quite honest.

You need to show what you did. For (a) Show how you got the area of the of the parallelogram and the determinant of the transformation. That's all you need to calculate the new area. I think you have arithmetic mistakes.

Related to Finding the area/volume for a transformed parallelogram/parallelepiped?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a transformed parallelogram?

The formula for finding the area of a transformed parallelogram is simply base times height, or A=bh.

2. How do I find the volume of a parallelepiped?

To find the volume of a parallelepiped, you will need to multiply the area of the base by the height. The formula for this is V=Abh, where A is the area of the base and h is the height.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding the area of a parallelepiped as I would for a parallelogram?

No, the formula for finding the area of a parallelepiped is different from that of a parallelogram. While the formula for a parallelogram is A=bh, the formula for a parallelepiped is A=2(bh+lw+hl), where b, l, and h are the lengths of the base, length, and height respectively.

4. How do I find the area of a transformed parallelogram if I only know the length and width of the original parallelogram?

To find the area of a transformed parallelogram, you will need to know at least one of the following: the base and height of the transformed parallelogram, the length and width of the original parallelogram, or the angles of the parallelogram. With this information, you can use trigonometric functions or the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing values and then use the formula A=bh to find the area.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the area/volume of a transformed parallelogram/parallelepiped?

Yes, there are other methods such as using vector cross products or determinants. These methods may be more complex and are typically used in advanced mathematics or engineering applications.