Finding the area of a circular strip

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of an outer circular strip by subtracting the area of the inner radius from the area of the composite. The idea of using 2pi*radius*thickness to find the area is challenged because it assumes the strip can be stretched out to form a rectangle, which is not possible if the inner and outer radii are not infinitesimally different.
Gabe805
http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c29/pict_29_93.gif
if I wanted to find the area of the outer circular strip, I know I would just take the area of the composite and subtract out the inner radius. (i.e. pi(a^2)-pi(b^2)). However why can't I use 2pi*radius*thickness? this would be 2pi*a(a-b) which is obviously not the same.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gabe805 said:
However why can't I use 2pi*radius*thickness? this would be 2pi*a(a-b) which is obviously not the same.
Of course not if the thickness is not infinitesimal. The "2pi*radius*thickness" comes from assuming that the strip can be stretched out to make a long rectangle, which is obviously not possible if the inner and outer radius are not infinitesimally different.

Likes Gabe805
blue_leaf77 said:
Of course not if the thickness is not infinitesimal. The "2pi*radius*thickness" comes from assuming that the strip can be stretched out to make a long rectangle, which is obviously not possible if the inner and outer radius are not infinitesimally different.

Yeah, I had a hunch it had something to do with that. If the inner and outer radii are different, then it doesn't wind up being a rectangle. Thanks for the reply.

Related to Finding the area of a circular strip

What is the formula for finding the area of a circular strip?

The formula for finding the area of a circular strip is A = πr2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you find the radius of a circular strip?

The radius of a circular strip can be found by measuring the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the edge of the circle.

Can the area of a circular strip be negative?

No, the area of a circular strip cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by the circular strip and therefore must be a positive value.

What units are used to measure the area of a circular strip?

The area of a circular strip is typically measured in square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters.

Can the area of a circular strip be calculated if only the circumference is known?

Yes, the area of a circular strip can be calculated if only the circumference is known by using the formula A = (C/2π)2, where A is the area and C is the circumference.