Finding the area enclosed by curves in polar form

In summary, Charismaztex was unable to solve part a) of her homework and was stymied by the limits of part b). She found the limits for part b) using the limits of 0 to 2\pi. She was then able to integrate the equation and found that the first term should be 3\sqrt{5}.
Charismaztex

Homework Statement

a) Find the area enclosed by the curve [tex]r=2+3cos(\theta)[/tex].

b) Find the area enclosed by the curve [tex](x^2+y^2)^3=y^4[/tex] (after converting to polar form)

Homework Equations

The general equation for the area of a sector of curve:

[tex] A=\frac{1}{2} \int_{\beta}^{\alpha} r^2 d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I able to integrate part a) but unable to find the upper and lower limits to find the definite integral.

For part b), likewise I am unable to find the limits in order to find the definite integral

Thanks in advance,
Charismaztex

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Charismaztex! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

In polar coordinates, r can never be negative …

so (in both cases) find the values of θ for which r = 0, and use them as your limits. :wink:

(and if there's no "forbidden" values of θ, then just use limits of 0 to 2π)

Hello, thanks for your input. I've solved part b) successfully but I am still stymied by the limits of part a). Solving for r=0 gives arccos(-2/3).

-Charismaztex

tiny-tim said:
In polar coordinates, r can never be negative …
Not true at all. The polar points (1, pi/4) and (-1, 5pi/4) refer to the same point, and clearly the r value in the 2nd coordinate pair is negative.

First you need to decide what are you are actually calculating. The graph is a limacon with an inner loop. If you just want the area enclosed by the limacon, you don't want to include the inner loop, which is what going from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] would do. Next, you can notice from the symmetry you can just do the top half and double it.

You have already noticed that angle where the top half is completed, minus the loop, is

[tex]\alpha = \arccos{(-\frac 2 3) }[/tex]

So if you let [itex]\theta[/itex] go from 0 to [itex]\alpha[/itex], you will get half the area. Now the fact that you can't get a nice expression for [itex]\alpha[/itex] shouldn't stop you. Just do the integral. Draw a picture of the angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] with a little triangle and you can read off the value of any trig function of [itex]\alpha[/itex] that comes out of your integration. You don't need to know the value of [itex]\alpha[/itex] itself.

I'm confused about this question. Is anyone able to put up a full solution that would be appreciated. The textbook answer is [tex]5\sqrt{5} + \frac{17}{2} arccos(-\frac{2}{3}) [/tex]

Thanks,
Charismaztex

I think your book's answer is wrong. The first term should be [tex]3\sqrt{5}[/tex].

vela said:
I think your book's answer is wrong. The first term should be [tex]3\sqrt{5}[/tex].

I agree.

So that's the problem! The book apparently has many errors; I don't know if you've heard of it before, it's "Further Pure Mathematics Gaulter and Gaulter" published by Oxford. Thanks for the help, I got the answer.

Related to Finding the area enclosed by curves in polar form

1. What is the formula for finding the area enclosed by polar curves?

The formula for finding the area enclosed by polar curves is A = 1/2 ∫ab r2(θ) dθ, where r(θ) represents the polar curve and a and b are the starting and ending values of θ for the enclosed region.

2. How is the polar curve graphed to find the enclosed area?

The polar curve is graphed by plotting points on a polar coordinate system, where r represents the distance from the origin and θ represents the angle from the positive x-axis. The curve is then traced and the enclosed region is identified.

3. Can the area enclosed by polar curves be negative?

No, the area enclosed by polar curves is always positive. This is because the formula for finding the area uses the absolute value of r(θ), which ensures that the area is never negative.

4. What is the difference between finding the area enclosed by polar curves and Cartesian curves?

The main difference is that polar curves are represented by a radius and angle, while Cartesian curves are represented by x and y coordinates. Additionally, the formula for finding the area of Cartesian curves is A = ∫ab f(x) dx, where f(x) represents the function of the curve.

5. Can the formula for finding the area enclosed by polar curves be applied to any polar curve?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any polar curve as long as the curve does not intersect itself and the starting and ending values of θ are correctly identified. However, the integration process may become more complex for certain curves.