Finding the angular acceleration knowing the net torque

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular acceleration of a uniform disk with three forces being applied. The formula r=I*(ang.acc^)2 is used to calculate the moment of inertia and solve for the net torque. The question is confirmed to be correct using the formula T=Iα. The symbol for moment of inertia is r.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

So I worked out a problem where a uniform disk with 3 forces being applied. I found the correct net torque acting on the disk. Now the problem is asking me to find the angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

r= I*(ang.acc^)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the assumption that you could use this formula. Plug the net torque in and calculate the moment of inertia and solve. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:

Homework Equations

r= I*(ang.acc^)2

You mean T=Iα ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the assumption that you could use this formula. Plug the net torque in and calculate the moment of inertia and solve. Is this true?[/QUOTE]

Yes this is what you essentially need to do.

ah yup. But the symbole is an r I thought. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Related to Finding the angular acceleration knowing the net torque

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotation is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is related to rotational motion, while linear acceleration is related to straight-line motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. What is net torque and how does it relate to angular acceleration?

Net torque is the sum of all torques acting on an object. Torque is a force that causes an object to rotate. The net torque acting on an object is directly proportional to its angular acceleration.

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of an object?

The angular acceleration of an object is affected by the net torque acting on the object, the object's moment of inertia (its resistance to rotational motion), and the object's angular velocity.

5. How can I calculate the angular acceleration of an object if I know the net torque?

To calculate the angular acceleration of an object, you can use the formula α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the net torque, and I is the moment of inertia of the object. Make sure to use consistent units (e.g. radians for angles and kilograms for mass) in your calculations.