Finding Test Sockets for Magnetic Sensor SIP & MSOP Packages

In summary: For test socket fabrication support, they may try COMPOMAX Technology .. They could be of great help...Thanks for the offer, but I'll try to find something else.
humanoid
i need to design a test equipment for magnetic sensors and i need to use this in quality control department. the magnetic sensors come in SIP and MSOP packages. i need a socket to hold both temporarily until the test is being carried out.
can anyone help me find out a proper test socket for these packages?

Engineering news on Phys.org
humanoid said:
i need to design a test equipment for magnetic sensors and i need to use this in quality control department. the magnetic sensors come in SIP and MSOP packages. i need a socket to hold both temporarily until the test is being carried out.
can anyone help me find out a proper test socket for these packages?

I Googled MSOP test socket, and here's a result that came up (kinda pricey though--most people just make package adapters, and not sockets):
http://www.logicalsys.com/1-to-1-adapters.asp

If you only need to test one or two of something, and don't mind a slow throughput, what I've done in the past is to design a board with the footprint of the package, and then just put the chip down right on the pads and pressed down (not sure how sensitive your devices are to ESD, however). If you can't get them to line up well to the pads, you can always take them into place.

As for your SIP... If your SIP is 0.100" spacing, it should fit into a breadboard, or any 0.100" spacing female socket strip of the appropriate width. Try Samtec or Mill-Max. If you need more than just sample quantities, head to Digikey or Mouser (I believe both sell breakaway headers of various spacings made by 3M and the above-mentioned companies)

MATLABdude said:
As for your SIP... If your SIP is 0.100" spacing, it should fit into a breadboard, or any 0.100" spacing female socket strip of the appropriate width. Try Samtec or Mill-Max. If you need more than just sample quantities, head to Digikey or Mouser (I believe both sell breakaway headers of various spacings made by 3M and the above-mentioned companies)

i need a SIP socket with 0.050" spacing. and it would be great if the socket is of test and burn-in type.

humanoid said:
i need a SIP socket with 0.050" spacing. and it would be great if the socket is of test and burn-in type.

I'm not familiar with test and burn-in type sockets (ones that don't require any insertion force?) But you should be able to find something at the aforementioned manufacturers (and vendors). If you're looking for something really specialized, maybe someone else on this board can give you a referral.

humanoid said:

You could try calling Emulation Technology. If they don't have it, they may be able to point you to another company that does. I've been very impressed with the customer service from ET.

hello humanoid... I would like to help. please email me your requirements if you are still in need of a test socket.. send me a private message...

Jerry_M said:
hello humanoid... I would like to help. please email me your requirements if you are still in need of a test socket.. send me a private message...

Welcome to the PF. humanoid hasn't posted since this thread over 2 years ago, so you may not get a reply from him.

If you have a link to a good source of test sockets, go ahead and post it here.

Thanks Berkeman... For test socket fabrication support, they may try COMPOMAX Technology .. They could be of great help...

(selfish post by me) -- I'm looking for LIF or ZIF Single-In-Line socket strips. Do you have pointers that would help me out? Infraction for me...

Related to Finding Test Sockets for Magnetic Sensor SIP & MSOP Packages

What is a magnetic sensor SIP package?

A magnetic sensor SIP (System-in-Package) is a type of electronic packaging technology that combines multiple components, such as a magnetic sensor, with other passive components and interconnects into a single package. This type of package allows for a more compact and efficient design for magnetic sensors.

What is a magnetic sensor MSOP package?

A magnetic sensor MSOP (Mini Small Outline Package) is a type of surface mount technology that is commonly used for packaging magnetic sensors. It is a smaller version of the SOP (Small Outline Package) and allows for a more compact design for magnetic sensors.

Why are test sockets important for magnetic sensor SIP & MSOP packages?

Test sockets are important for magnetic sensor SIP & MSOP packages because they allow for easy and efficient testing of the packaged sensor. Without a test socket, the sensor would need to be unsoldered and removed from the package in order to be tested, which can be time-consuming and potentially damaging to the sensor.

What are the factors to consider when choosing a test socket for magnetic sensor SIP & MSOP packages?

When choosing a test socket for magnetic sensor SIP & MSOP packages, some important factors to consider include the package size, contact pitch, number of contacts, and the desired testing environment (e.g. temperature range). It is also important to ensure that the test socket is compatible with the specific package type and manufacturer.

Are there different types of test sockets for magnetic sensor SIP & MSOP packages?

Yes, there are different types of test sockets available for magnetic sensor SIP & MSOP packages. Some common types include clamshell sockets, pogo pin sockets, and burn-in sockets. Each type has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain testing scenarios. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements when selecting a test socket for a magnetic sensor SIP or MSOP package.