Finding Tension of String Connecting Two Blocks on a Flat Surface

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, mA= 5.0 kg and mB= 10.0 kg, connected by a string on a smooth inclined surface at an angle of 30.0°. The goal is to find the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string. Using the equations ƩF=m(a) and Fa= mA(g) sin θ, the acceleration of the blocks is found to be 4.9 m/s^2. The tension in the string is then calculated using separate free body diagrams for each block, resulting in a tension of zero for block A and a tension of 24.5 N for block B. The problem does not specify if the string is attached
Stormi1018

Homework Statement

Two blocks mA= 5.0 g and mB= 10.0kg are connected to a string. Both blocks sit on a smooth inclined surface where the angle on the inclined plane is 30.0°. Block A is about block B on the incline. Find the acceleration of the system of two blocks. What is the tension TB in the string.

Homework Equations

ƩF=m(a)
Fa= mA(g) sin θ
Fb= mBsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an archived thread to attempt to solve this problem, I got the tension to be 0.

Mass block A= 5.0kg
Mass block B= 10.0 kg
mg of block A= 49 N
mg of block B= 98 kg

Fa= mg of block A (sin30°) = 24.5 N
Fb= mg of block B (sin 30°)= 49 N
First I found the acceleration of the blocks as a whole using the equation ƩFa=m(acceleration of a) : a = 73.5N/15.0kg, so I found acceleration to be 4.9 m/s^2.

Then I drew separate free body diagrams for each block to solve for the tension.

Block A Tension = T+ƩFA=ma(acceleration)
I found the tension to be zero.
I used the same equation for block B except I subtracted the tension from the force because the tension is acting in a negative x direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by
"Block A is about block B on the incline". please type the problem in original and with figure if there is any...is the string attached to a pulley or the wall ?

Related to Finding Tension of String Connecting Two Blocks on a Flat Surface

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How do you find the tension of a string connecting two blocks on a flat surface?

The tension of a string can be found by using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the hanging object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). This assumes that the string is in equilibrium and there are no other external forces acting on the system.

3. What factors can affect the tension of a string connecting two blocks on a flat surface?

The tension of a string can be affected by the weight of the objects attached to the string, the angle at which the string is pulled, the elasticity of the string, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the tension?

The tension of a string is directly proportional to the sine of the angle at which it is pulled. This means that as the angle increases, the tension in the string also increases.

5. Can the tension in a string ever be greater than the weight of the objects it is supporting?

No, the tension in a string can never be greater than the weight of the objects it is supporting. This is because the string can only support as much weight as the tension that is being applied to it.