Finding tangential acceleration of a rotating disk

In summary, the tangential acceleration of a rotating disk can be found by taking the product of the angular acceleration and the radius of the disk. This tangential acceleration is perpendicular to the centripetal acceleration and is responsible for the change in speed of a point on the disk as it rotates. It can also be calculated using the equation a = rω², where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the disk, and ω is the angular velocity. Understanding tangential acceleration is crucial in analyzing the motion of rotating objects.
AfronPie

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

Tangenital acceleration=r*alpha

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was just simply r*alpha=2*20=40 (choice A), but the answer key says choice B. I'm not really sure where I could have went wrong or its possible that there is a mistake in the answer key.
P Q.png
Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stick to answer A. Key's wrong.

Likes AfronPie
I think you are correct..

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys211/lectures/tang/tang_all.html

Likes AfronPie
BvU said:
Stick to answer A. Key's wrong.
Thanks.

I calculate 79 m/s² for the centripetal acceleration (towards the center).

Likes Nidum and BvU

Related to Finding tangential acceleration of a rotating disk

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of the tangential velocity of a rotating object. It is a measure of how quickly the direction of the velocity vector changes.

2. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of the tangential velocity with respect to time. In other words, it is the change in tangential velocity divided by the change in time.

3. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the change in the tangential velocity, while radial acceleration is the change in the radial velocity. In other words, tangential acceleration measures changes in the speed of an object as it rotates, while radial acceleration measures changes in the direction of the velocity vector.

4. How does tangential acceleration affect the motion of a rotating disk?

Tangential acceleration affects the motion of a rotating disk by causing it to change its speed or direction. If the tangential acceleration is positive, the disk will speed up, while if it is negative, the disk will slow down. If the tangential acceleration is zero, the disk will maintain a constant speed.

5. Can tangential acceleration be negative?

Yes, tangential acceleration can be negative. This means that the tangential velocity is decreasing, and the object is slowing down. This can happen if there is a force acting in the direction opposite to the motion of the rotating disk.