Finding subgroups of Factor/ Quotient Groups

So you need to find all the subgroups.In summary, there are two subgroups of Z/9Z - {0,3,6} with order 3 and {0,1,2,4,5,7,8} with order 9. For Z/3ZxZ/3Z, the subgroups are {(0,0)} with order 1, {(0,0),(0,1),(0,2)} with order 3, {(0,0),(1,0),(2,0)} with order 3, and {(0,0),(1,1),(2,2)} with order 3. Therefore, there are four subgroups in total.
porroadventum

Homework Statement

Describe all the subgroups of Z/9Z. How many are there? Describe all the subgroups of Z/3ZxZ/3Z. How many are there?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start with this question. If someone could just point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have made an attempt, if someone could let me know if it is correct or not, that would be much appreciated!

The elements of Z/9Z are {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} with operation modulo9.

The elements (1,2,4,5,7,8} have order 9 and generate the whole group.
{0,3,6} has order 3.

Therefore there are two subgroups.

porroadventum said:
I have made an attempt, if someone could let me know if it is correct or not, that would be much appreciated!

The elements of Z/9Z are {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} with operation modulo9.

The elements (1,2,4,5,7,8} have order 9 and generate the whole group.
{0,3,6} has order 3.

Therefore there are two subgroups.

{0} is also a subgroup.

It looks like you're good for ##Z/9Z##.

##Z/3Z \times Z/3Z## is {(0,0),(0,1),(0,2),(1,0),(1,1),(1,2),(2,0),(2,1),(2,2)} - which is not cyclic.

Related to Finding subgroups of Factor/ Quotient Groups

1. What is a subgroup of a factor/quotient group?

A subgroup of a factor/quotient group is a subset of elements from the original group that still form a group under the same operation. This subgroup must also contain the identity element and have the property that every element has an inverse within the subgroup.

2. How do you find subgroups of a factor/quotient group?

To find subgroups of a factor/quotient group, you can use the subgroup test. This involves checking if the subset satisfies the properties of a subgroup, including closure, identity, and inverse. Another method is to use Lagrange's theorem to find subgroups of known orders.

3. What is the significance of finding subgroups of a factor/quotient group?

Finding subgroups in a factor/quotient group can reveal the underlying structure of the group. It can also help in solving problems related to the original group. Furthermore, identifying subgroups can provide insight into the symmetries and patterns within the group.

4. Can a factor/quotient group have multiple subgroups?

Yes, a factor/quotient group can have multiple subgroups. In fact, every group has at least two subgroups - the trivial subgroup containing only the identity element and the entire group itself. Other subgroups can be proper, meaning they are not the whole group, or they can be the same size as the original group.

5. Are all subgroups of a factor/quotient group normal?

No, not all subgroups of a factor/quotient group are normal. A subgroup is considered normal if it is invariant under conjugation by elements of the original group. In other words, the left and right cosets of a normal subgroup are the same. However, there are subgroups that are not normal, such as the alternating group of degree 4 in the symmetric group of degree 4.