Finding State Matrices for a Mass Spring System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the state equations for a mass spring system and obtaining the state matrices. The transfer function and matrices are provided, but the speaker is unsure of how to obtain them due to the complexity of the transfer function. They also mention trying to follow a labeled example, but their implementation does not seem to work. They express concern about a derivative of the input in the state equation.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to find the state equations for a mass spring system.
I found the transfer function to be
\[
H(s) = \frac{X_1(s)}{F(s)} = \frac{m_2s^2 + b_2s + k}
{s\big[m_1m_2s^3 + (m_2b_1 + m_1b_2)s^2 +
(k(m_1 + m_2) + b_1b_2)s + k(b_1 + b_2)\big]}
\]
I found the transfer function from
\begin{align}
m_1\ddot{x}_1 &= F - b_1\dot{x}_1 - k(x_1 - x_2)\\
m_2\ddot{x}_2 &= - b_2\dot{x}_2 - k(x_2 - x_1)
\end{align}
So I am trying to find the state matrices \(\mathbf{A}\), \(\mathbf{B}\), \(\mathbf{C}\), and \(\mathbf{D}\) where
\begin{align}
\dot{\mathbf{x}} &= \mathbf{A}\mathbf{x} + \mathbf{B}F\\
\mathbf{y} &= \mathbf{C}\mathbf{x} + \mathbf{D}F
\end{align}
The transfer function is extremely complicated though. How can I obtain the state matrices?

I do know what the matrices are, but I can't find obtain them:
\begin{align}
\mathbf{A} &=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
-\frac{k}{m_1} & -\frac{b_1}{m_1} & \frac{k}{m_1} & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
\frac{k}{m_2} & 0 & -\frac{k}{m_2} & -\frac{b_2}{m_2}
\end{bmatrix}\\
\mathbf{B} &=
\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\frac{1}{m_1}\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}\\
\mathbf{C} &=
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}\\
\mathbf{D} &= \mathbf{0}
\end{align}

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We can write this as one differential equation:
\[
m_1m_2\ddddot{w} + (m_1b_2 + m_2b_1)\dddot{w} + (k(m_1 + m_2) + b_1b_2)\ddot{w} + k(b_1 + b_2)\dot{w} = m_2\ddot{u} + b_2\dot{u} + ku
\]
If the LHS had only a 3rd time derivative and the RHS had only a first time derivative, I could follow the (harder) labeled example here.
But I have tried to follow that idea by setting up the q derivatives as
\begin{alignat}{2}
q_1 &= w\\
q_2 &= \dot{w}\\
q_3 &= \ddot{w}\\
q_4 &= \dddot{w} - m_2\dot{u} - b_2u\\
\dot{q}_1 &= \dot{w} &&={} q_2\\
\dot{q}_2 &= \ddot{w} &&={} q_3\\
\dot{q}_3 &= \dddot{w} &&={} q_4\\
\dot{q}_4 &= \ddddot{w} -m_2\ddot{u} - b_2\dot{u}
\end{alignat}
However, this didn't seem to work. Should the q's be setup differently? Or am I not implementing this correctly?
From my implementation, I had
\begin{align}
\dot{q}_4 &= ku - (m_2^2b_1 + m_1m_2b_2)\dot{u} - (m_2b_1b_2 + m_1b_2^2)u - (m_2b_1 + m_1b_2)q_4 - q_3(k(m_1 + m_2) + b_1b_2) - k(b_1 + b_2)q_2
\end{align}
However, I am suspect of
\[
- (m_2^2b_1 + m_1m_2b_2)\dot{u} - (m_2b_1b_2 + m_1b_2^2)u - (m_2b_1 + m_1b_2)q_4
\]
since there is a \(\dot{u}\) present which came from
\[
\dddot{w}(m_2b_1 + m_1b_2) = (m_2\dot{u} + b_2u + q_4)(m_2b_1 + m_1b_2).
\]
In the harder example, it says "The method has failed because there is a derivative of the input on the right hand, and that is not allowed in a state space model." This cause the concern with \(\dot{u}\) in \(\dot{q}_4\). Thus, I am lead to believe I need a slightly different setup for this problem.

Related to Finding State Matrices for a Mass Spring System

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and is able to oscillate back and forth under the influence of an external force. It is commonly used to model various systems in physics and engineering, such as mechanical vibrations and electrical circuits.

2. Why is it important to find the state matrix for a mass spring system?

The state matrix provides a mathematical representation of the system and allows for the prediction of its future behavior. It is essential for understanding the dynamics of the system and designing controllers to regulate its motion.

3. How do you determine the state matrix for a mass spring system?

To find the state matrix, you need to first write the system's differential equations using Newton's second law. Then, you can use the eigenvalue-eigenvector method or the Laplace transform to solve the equations and obtain the state matrix.

4. What factors can affect the state matrix of a mass spring system?

The state matrix is influenced by the physical properties of the system, such as the mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient. It can also be affected by external forces and initial conditions.

5. Can the state matrix change over time for a mass spring system?

Yes, the state matrix can change over time if the system's physical properties or external forces change. It can also be controlled by implementing different feedback control strategies.