Finding specific heat of an object graphically

In summary, two samples with different initial temperatures are placed in a thermally isolated container and allowed to reach thermal equilibrium. The temperatures of the samples are plotted against time, with sample A having a mass of 5.2 kg and sample B having a mass of 1.6 kg. The material of sample B is shown in a general plot, with the temperature change plotted against the energy transferred as heat per unit mass. To find the specific heat capacity of sample B, the heat gained by object B must equal the heat lost by object A. This can be calculated using the equation c=Q/mΔt, where Q is the energy transferred, m is the mass of the sample, and Δt is the change in temperature
armolinasf

Homework Statement

Samples A and B are at different initial temperatures when they are placed in a thermally isolated container and allowed to come to thermal equilibrium. Figure a gives their temperatures T versus time t. Sample A has a mass of 5.2 kg; sample B has a mass of 1.6 kg. Figure b is a general plot about the material of sample B. It shows the temperature change T that the material undergoes when energy is transferred to it as heat Q. The change T is plotted versus the energy Q per unit mass of the material.

The Attempt at a Solution

The heat gained by object b must equal the total heat of object a. So Qb=Qa=Q/mb*mb, mb=mass of object b.

but Q=mcΔt ==> c=Q/mΔt would Δt then just be the total change from 100 to 60 degrees?

this would give me 25600/(5.2*60)=82.05 which is incorrect. Where Am I going wrong?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• W0403-N.jpg
    W0403-N.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 789
Physics news on Phys.org
armolinasf said:
The heat gained by object b must equal the total heat of object a.

I think it is better to replace the underlined by 'heat lost by'.

armolinasf said:
but Q=mcΔt ==> c=Q/mΔt would Δt then just be the total change from 100 to 60 degrees?

I think that you mean that [itex]\Delta[/itex]T is the change from 100 to 40, i.e. 60deg because we are considering A.

armolinasf said:
So Qb=Qa=Q/mb*mb, mb=mass of object b.

Can the poster explain what the above mean?

and clarification

I would like to commend you on your attempt at finding the specific heat of object B using graphical data. However, there are a few points that need clarification and correction.

Firstly, the heat gained by object B may not necessarily equal the total heat of object A. Heat is not a conserved quantity, as it can be lost or gained by an object through various processes such as conduction, convection, and radiation. Therefore, it is important to consider the specific conditions of the experiment and the materials involved before assuming that the heat gained by object B is equal to the total heat of object A.

Secondly, your equation to calculate the specific heat (c) is correct, but the value for Q should be the heat gained by object B, not the total heat. This means that you should use the value for Qb in your calculation, not Q.

Lastly, the value for Δt should be the time it takes for object B to change from its initial temperature to its final temperature, not the total change in temperature. This is because specific heat is a measure of how much heat is required to change the temperature of an object by a certain amount, not the total temperature change.

I would suggest reviewing your calculations and making sure to use the correct values for Q and Δt. Additionally, it may be helpful to double check the units of your final answer to ensure that they are in agreement with the units of specific heat (J/kg*K).

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Remember, as a scientist, it is important to always double check your calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy and precision in your results.

Related to Finding specific heat of an object graphically

1. What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is an important measure in thermodynamics and is used to calculate the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance.

2. How do you find the specific heat of an object graphically?

To find the specific heat of an object graphically, you will need a graph of temperature vs. time for the object as it is heated or cooled. The specific heat can be determined by finding the slope of the line on the graph, which represents the rate of change of temperature over time.

3. Why is it necessary to use a graph to find specific heat?

A graph is necessary to find specific heat because it allows for a visual representation of the change in temperature over time. This makes it easier to determine the slope of the line and accurately calculate the specific heat of the object.

4. Can you find the specific heat of any object graphically?

Yes, the specific heat of any object can be found graphically as long as there is a measurable change in temperature over time. This method can be used for solids, liquids, and gases.

5. What are some potential sources of error when finding specific heat graphically?

Some potential sources of error when finding specific heat graphically include not allowing enough time for the object to reach thermal equilibrium, inaccurate measurements of temperature or time, and heat loss to the surrounding environment. It is important to minimize these sources of error to obtain a more accurate result.