Finding sine and cosine formulas

In summary, the conversation involved solving a problem where the equations sinx/siny = 1/2 and cosx/cosy = 3 were given, and the goal was to prove sin (x + y) = 7/3 sinx cosx. After some discussion and hints, it was determined that the solution involved substituting the values of siny and cosy in terms of sinx and cosx into the formula for sin (x + y), which ultimately led to the correct solution of 7/3 sinx cosx.
rum2563
[SOLVED] Finding sine and cosine formulas

Homework Statement

If sinx/siny = 1/2 and cosx/cosy = 3 prove:

sin (x + y) = 7/3 sinx cosx

Homework Equations

sin (x + y) = sinx cosy = cosx siny

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone please give me a hint so that I can start? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well fine cosy in terms of cosx from the 2nd formula and find siny in terms of sinx from the 1st formula and sub into the LHS of the proof

Ok, here it goes:

* sinx/siny = 1/2

siny = 2sinx

* cosx/cosy = 3

cosy = cosx/3sin(x + y) = sinx cosy + cosx siny
= cosx/3 + 3 X 2sinx
= cosx/3 + 6sinx
= 7/3 sinx cosxIs this possibly right?
Please help. Thanks

well that is correct...but you should put in the sinx and cosx in the 2nd and 3rd lines...or else it may seem weird that you simply got back the sinx and cosx at the end

Well, If I put back sinx and cosx, then how will I get rid of them in the end?

sin(x + y) = sinx cosy + cosx siny
= (sinxcosx)/3 + 2sinxcosx
=[itex]\frac{7sinxcosx}{3}[/itex]

Thanks very much rock.freak667. I finally get this.

Related to Finding sine and cosine formulas

1. What is the purpose of finding sine and cosine formulas?

Finding sine and cosine formulas allows us to calculate the values of sine and cosine for any angle in a right triangle. This is useful in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do you find the sine and cosine formulas?

The sine and cosine formulas can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By rearranging this formula, we can solve for the sine and cosine of an angle.

3. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions that are used to calculate the ratios of sides in a right triangle. The main difference between them is that sine represents the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the hypotenuse, while cosine represents the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse.

4. Can you find the sine and cosine values for any angle?

Yes, the sine and cosine formulas can be used to calculate the values for any angle in a right triangle. However, it is important to note that these values may be limited by the precision of our calculations and the accuracy of our measurements.

5. How can I apply the knowledge of sine and cosine formulas in real life?

The applications of sine and cosine formulas are vast and diverse. They are used in fields such as navigation, surveying, and satellite communication to determine distances and angles. They are also used in physics and engineering to calculate forces, motion, and vibrations. Additionally, the concepts of sine and cosine are fundamental in understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems.