Finding Side Lengths of Tangram Shapes

• MHB
  • Thread starter Deeds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shapes
In summary: So JF is also a diagonal of the large square.In summary, the conversation discusses a tangram puzzle and how to find the lengths of the sides of the shapes. The given information includes 2 large, congruent isosceles right triangles, 1 medium isosceles right triangle, 2 small, congruent isosceles right triangles, 1 square, and 1 parallelogram. The goal is to rearrange the pieces without any gaps or overlaps to form a square with dimensions of 1 unit by 1 unit. The conversation also includes a link to a helpful resource and a question about how to mathematically show that a specific line is part of a diagonal in the larger square.
Deeds
Hello, I'm trying to find the lengths of the sides of all of the shapes in the below tangram. This is what is given:
• 2 large, and congruent, isosceles right triangles
• 1 medium isosceles right triangle
• 2 small, and congruent, isosceles right triangles
• 1 square
• 1 parallelogram

The pieces can be rearranged with no gaps or overlapping of shapes into a square with dimensions 1 unit by 1 unit (i.e., the entire area of the square is 1 unit^{2}) You cannot make midpoint assumptions.

I've figured out the lengths of the two large triangles. (1 for the hypotenuse and \sqrt{2}/2 for the other two legs). Without assuming midpoints, I'm not sure where to go next. Thanks.

Attachments

• task 2  puzzle.png
    task 2 puzzle.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 97
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I hope the following is understandable and helps.

sfxtnp.png

jrb5ex.png

johng said:
Hi,

Thank you so much for your help. Most of it I understand. I will sit with this later to see if I can get it to connect in my brain. :-) If not, I'll ask you more questions.

Again, thank you so much!

See also http://mathhelpboards.com/geometry-11/tangrams-11357.html?highlight=tangram.

johng said:
Hi,

I'm confused about how you know that JF lies on a diagonal of the large square. I can understand how AK does and I can visually and conceptually see how JF would, but how can I mathematically show that?

Sorry, this problem is so difficult for me. Thanks again.

Deeds said:
I'm confused about how you know that JF lies on a diagonal of the large square. I can understand how AK does and I can visually and conceptually see how JF would, but how can I mathematically show that?
You know that AK is a diagonal of the large square. You also know that JF is perpendicular to AK (because the angles at F are right angles). Since the diagonals of a square are perpendicular to each other, it follows that JF must be parallel to the other diagonal. But since it passes through the vertex J, it must actually be part of that diagonal.

Related to Finding Side Lengths of Tangram Shapes

1. How do you find the side lengths of tangram shapes?

To find the side lengths of tangram shapes, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the length of each side. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of a side that is not directly measurable.

2. Is there a specific formula for finding the side lengths of tangram shapes?

There is no specific formula for finding the side lengths of tangram shapes. However, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or other basic geometry principles to calculate the length of a side.

3. Are all the side lengths of a tangram shape the same?

No, the side lengths of a tangram shape are not always the same. Depending on how the tangram pieces are arranged, some sides may be longer or shorter than others.

4. Can I use the perimeter to find the side lengths of a tangram shape?

Yes, you can use the perimeter to find the side lengths of a tangram shape. The perimeter is the total distance around the outside of a shape, so by dividing the perimeter by the number of sides, you can determine the length of each side.

5. Do all tangram shapes have the same side lengths?

No, not all tangram shapes have the same side lengths. While some may have sides that are the same length, others may have varying side lengths depending on the arrangement of the pieces.