Finding RMS value of strange column function

In summary, the conversation involves finding the RMS value for a given function and understanding how to calculate it using the RMS equation. The function is a pulsed DC or 25% duty cycle switched DC, and the conversation also discusses how the RMS value would change if the function varied between +1 and -1 V. The conversation also briefly touches on determining the mean value for a different type of waveform.
Twinflower

Homework Statement

This is the given function:
RMS.png

Homework Equations

The RMS equation goes like this:
[tex]
\sqrt(\frac{\int(f(t)^2 dt)}{b - a})
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the exercise was to find the mean value.
This is A/4.

The RMS value should be higher than the mean value, but I need the function to use the equation and I can't "see it" from the picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
RMS == the square root of the average of ( the square of the signal).

You are given a graph of the signal. On the same axes you can plot the signal squared, then determine the average of this. Then ...

Ah, thank you for putting it into perspective

RMS value = A/2

And it's not called a strange column function. It's called pulsed DC. Or 25% duty cycle switched DC. :smile:

duly noted ^^

And what happends if the "pulsed DC" varies between +1 and -1 V ? The signal squared = 1V anyhow (except for a few 0V periods)

rms2.png

Last edited:
Never mind. I got it :)

I made it too complicated at first

Then it's called a strange column function.

What you have sketched doesn't tally with your verbal description. For what you sketched, its RMS value will be equal to that of a 60% duty cycle switched DC, since a level of -1 contributes the same as does +1, in determining RMS value.

the second picture is another problem which I had to determine the mean and RMS value.

the problem description does not mention any DC or functional description of the graph

You could call it a stepped waveform. Maybe a staircase.

I'll keep that it mind, thanks :)

Related to Finding RMS value of strange column function

1. What is the purpose of finding the RMS value of a strange column function?

The purpose of finding the RMS (Root Mean Square) value of a strange column function is to determine the effective value of the function over a given interval. This is particularly useful in cases where the function has varying amplitude, as it provides a single value that represents the overall "size" or magnitude of the function.

2. How is the RMS value of a strange column function calculated?

The RMS value of a strange column function is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values of the function over the given interval. This can be expressed mathematically as: RMS = √(1/n * ∑(f(x)^2)), where n is the number of data points in the interval and f(x) is the function at a given point.

3. Can the RMS value of a strange column function be negative?

No, the RMS value of a strange column function cannot be negative. This is because the squaring of the function values ensures that all values are positive, and taking the square root of the mean of these squared values will also result in a positive value.

4. What is the significance of the RMS value in relation to a strange column function?

The RMS value of a strange column function is significant because it provides a measure of the overall magnitude or "size" of the function over a given interval. This can be useful in comparing different functions or in analyzing the behavior of a single function over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the RMS value to represent a strange column function?

Yes, there are limitations to using the RMS value to represent a strange column function. The RMS value does not take into account the shape or distribution of the function, and may not accurately represent the function if it has extreme outliers or non-linear behavior. Additionally, the RMS value may not be meaningful for functions that have both positive and negative values in equal amounts.