Finding Rate of Change and Time of Temperature Change in a Liquid System

In summary, the equation for the temperature T of a liquid at a given time t is T = 30 + 20e-0.05t. To find the initial temperature, we plug in t=0 and find that the initial temperature is 50. To find the initial rate of change of temperature, we take the derivative of the T equation, which is dT/dt = -0.05 x 20e-0.05t. To find the time at which the temperature is 40, we can plug in this value for T in the original equation and solve for t. The derivative of e^x is e^x, so when finding the derivative of e raised to a function, we use the
PlasmaSphere

Homework Statement

The temparature T of a liquid at a time t minutes is given by the equation
T = 30 + 20e-0.05t, for t > 0

(1)Write down the initial tempatature o the liquid, and find the intial rate of change of temparature.

(2)Find the time at which the temparature is 40

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When t=0 the initial temparture is 50. I know that to have to find dT/dt, and i and looked at the answer, which says dT/dt = -0.05 x 20e-0.05t, but i can't see how they got that. what happened to the 30? and how did they get to that point?

Physics news on Phys.org
They took the derivative of your T equation. Thus derivative of 30 = 0.

kevinr said:
They took the derivative of your T equation. Thus derivative of 30 = 0.

ok, cheers.

I still don't see how we get from T = 30 + 20e-0.05t to dT/dt = -0.05 x 20e-0.05t. i thought that the power had to decrease by 1 when you differenciated it and then multiply by the old power, so 20e-0.05 should become -0.05 x 20e-1.05. but that's not what the answer says, which is why I'm confused.

Last edited:
If I have a function [tex] f(x) = e^u [/tex], where u can be any kind of x term, say .05x for instance, then I know that [tex] d/dx = e^u u' [/tex] where u' is the derivative of u, or in this case, the derivative of .05x, which is just .05. Does that make sense?

Well there are two because that's how to find derivative of e.

If you had e^2x, than the derivative would be 2e^2x. (2 comes from derivative of 2x).

(if you have e^x, than it is 1e^x = e^x because derivative of x is 1)

So in your problem, what is the derivative of -0.05t? It is -0.05 and thus that is why it comes in the front.

If you are confused ill try to explain better. Let me know!

(Sorry i don't know special writing method yet)

Last edited:
PlasmaSphere said:
ok, cheers.

I still don't see how we get from T = 30 + 20e-0.05t to dT/dt = -0.05 x 20e-0.05t. i thought that the power had to decrease by 1 when you differenciated it and then multiply by the old power, so it should be -0.05 x 20e-1.05. but that's not what the answer says.

You are trying to apply the power rule, but you have [tex]e^x[/tex] not [tex]x^n[/tex] the base is e and the exponent is a function,

...chain rule. [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[e^u]=e^u*\frac{du}{dx}[/tex] if I remember correctly.

Casey

Edit: I see that like nine others were typing at the same time as me.when it rains it pours! Take your pick :)

Sorry, i eddited my question after you answered it. However i think i get it now, I just forgot that e is its own deriviative.

so when i said; "i thought that the power had to decrease by 1 when you differenciated it and then multiply by the old power, so 20e-0.05 should become -0.05 x 20e-1.05.", that's not correct because you differenciate e differently

so it should become -0.05 x 20e-0.05t

Saladsamurai said:
You are trying to apply the power rule, but you have [tex]e^x[/tex] not [tex]x^n[/tex] the base is e and the exponent is a function,

...chain rule. [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[e^u]=e^u*\frac{du}{dx}[/tex] if I remember correctly.

thanx, that's what i needed. I understand now. :smile:

Related to Finding Rate of Change and Time of Temperature Change in a Liquid System

What is the rate of change?

The rate of change is a measure of how a quantity changes over a specific period of time. It is often expressed as the change in the dependent variable (y) divided by the change in the independent variable (x).

How do you calculate the rate of change?

To calculate the rate of change, you need to have two data points: the initial value and the final value. Then, you subtract the initial value from the final value, and divide that difference by the change in the independent variable. This will give you the average rate of change.

What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the change in a quantity over a specific period of time, while the instantaneous rate of change is the rate of change at a specific point in time. The average rate of change is calculated by taking the slope of a line connecting two points, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated by taking the slope of a tangent line at a specific point.

Why is it important to calculate the rate of change?

Calculating the rate of change is important in many fields, including science, finance, and economics. It allows us to understand how a quantity is changing over time, and can help us make predictions and decisions based on that information.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the rate of change?

The rate of change is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of an object, predicting population growth, analyzing stock market trends, and determining the effectiveness of medical treatments. It is also used to measure and improve performance in various industries, such as manufacturing and transportation.